Simply Meant to Be: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My name is Emmett. I was a snobby, conceded, temperamental, prima donna for a lot of my life. Throughout my school career, my classmates would date each other, and even ask me out on dates but I was never interested because of the pedestal I put myself on. No one was good enough for me. Of course, that's what I told everyone. I'm human so naturally I had little crushes. I never fell in love. I didn't like having them so I never told anyone and ignored them. Also, I'm a boy, and I like boys. People would freak out and/or overreact at that fact that I ambindeed, a homosexual, so I keep it a secret.

--

"Okay, we have a new student with us. Why don't you tell everyone your name, and something about yourself?" Ms. Cameron motioned the boy to the class. He grinned and nodded.

The introduction thing was pretty stupid.

"My name is Luke, and I like baseball." He said awkwardly. His brown hair was tousled, or messy but in way that you would think he intentionally did it. He had a rugged and defined jawline. It looked like a jaw that would clench cutely when it was angered. His strong eyebrows were thick yet clean, and obviously waxed. He had a muscular frame that looked like he worked on it for quite some time. Overall, he looked like a Calvin Klein model. Still, I didn't think much of him.

"Wow, he's cute." Kate said, my good friend I just met this year. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever, you horndog." I said.

"Hey. Don't get jealous." She grinned.

"That's cute." I snorted. Ms. Cameron sat him down with some stupid boys who played sports too. They all seemed to like him. After I went through that very boring period, I exited the classroom and was on my way to my next class. I couldn't walk with Kate because she had a different class. I turned the corner until I was tapped on the shoulder.

"You dropped your pencil." Luke grinned, and handed me my dropped pencil. Without thinking, I looked him up and down, and firmly said,

"Thanks."

He gave me a puzzled look then laughed,

"Did you just check me out?"

"I don't think so. I'm not sure what that was." I said as I groaned mentally.

"Are you gay, perhaps?" He joked. I frowned,

"Only for money."

Luke laughed harder than before,

"That's interesting. What's your name?"

"Emmett."

"That's weird."

"Excuse me?" I continued to frown. Honestly, my default look was probably a scowl.

"It's just a weird name."

His subtle insults were enough to annoy me, so I made sure to be clear about my agitation.

"You're funny, you know?" Luke grinned.

"That's nice. I'm gonna go ahead and go." I turned my back and started down the hall.

"Just trying to make friends." He laughed.

"Not with the right people."