Chapter 9 - The Invite

Chapter 9

The Invite

"Oh, my feet are aching." Luna complained happily as she hobbled out of the fireplace leaning on Draco's arm.

Draco just smirked and deposited her in the arm chair.

"I wish the party hadn't had to end so soon." Luna said slipping her shoes off and relaxing back into the cushions.

"Good thing it did or you wouldn't be able to walk in the morning." He commented flopping into the chair opposite her.

She sighed dreamily, "But it was such a nice party." Luna smiled softly, she'd had a fabulous day with Draco, he'd been so nice to her all day, and very attentive making sure she had a good time. The Race's had been one thing but the party afterwards had been something else entirely, you could practically have gotten drunk off the atmosphere. Everyone had been in high spirits eating, drinking and being merry.

She and Draco had talked, laughed and danced together, they had gotten on so well, like a house on fire, there had been only good feelings between them. As she watched him now through lowered lashes she wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing.

Chewing on her bottom lip she tried to concentrate on what he was saying rather than the new thoughts that were suddenly spinning through her mind. Luna would never have believed she would be capable of having these sort of thoughts about Draco. It never entered her head that his in-your-face rampant maleness could affect her to the point that she found herself uncomfortable in his presence and it wasn't even anything that he actually did!

"So you had a good time then?"

"Oh yes. My mother always said that the sign of a good party is aching feet, and mine are throbbing." She giggled wiggling her toes. Sighing Luna took off her hat and carefully peeled her gloves from her hands.

Draco adverted his eyes from her face feeling rather concerned about his sanity at the moment. Every time he looked at Luna's mouth, and he had been looking practically all day, he felt his self-control slip another notch.

"Drink?"

Luna nodded, "Yes please."

Using his wand Draco cast a spell on the bar in the corner and a few seconds later two glasses bobbed their way over to him, taking Luna's he stood to hand it to her. "There you go. Glass of water, still not sparkling." He smiled inwardly at the surprise on her face that he had remembered her preference.

As she reached up to take the glass his fingers made contact with her hand. The tremor that rippled through her body when his fingers slid over the bare skin of her hand was visible.

Draco stood beside her and stopped speaking as her eyes lifted slowly to his, a shock trance-like quality to the usual dreamy blue depths. A tiny choking sound left her throat, a hint of colour ran under her skin as she jerked her hand away clutching at her glass so tightly her knuckles turned white.

Luna took a deep breath and lowered her eyes, she was utterly mortified. It would have been nice if she could believe that Draco hadn't picked up on the fact that she had been virtually stuck to the chair by lustful longing. Although she reflected it would have been nicer still to pretend that it hadn't happened at all. But of course that would be extremely difficult when the heat of his touch had ignited burning flames in the pit of her stomach that were just waiting to burst embarrassingly to life.

A loud crash coming from the kitchen made Draco jump and his eyes left her face to focus on the door. "Bloody idiot house-elves." He muttered twisting back round and seating himself back in the chair.