Chapter 6 - Poker

Luna's eyes were skipping everywhere, a tinge of pink excitement colouring her cheeks as she walked through the corridors of Malfoy Manor with Draco.

She'd woken early that morning, and after a rather awkward breakfast with Draco and Lucius, Draco had taken her for a tour of the house as he had promised. She found the Manor to be a fascinatingly, beautiful and mysterious place that was steeped in riches and history. Everything about the house jumped out at her asking to be explored, the rich textures of the carpets and drapes, the hand-woven tapestries that took up half the walls; and the way the eyes of the Malfoy's of the past followed her as she wandered enraptured from room to room.

Mostly Luna liked listening to Draco's voice as he told her stories that had been told to him about the Malfoy decedents, about the numerous Black's that gazed down at them from their place on the wall. There was a history behind many of the curious ornaments she noticed lurking in the rooms; and Draco happily passed the stories to her as they had been passed to him.

His voice was proud and slightly nostalgic when he spoke, some of the stories he told were before his time, and some were his own stories. These were the ones Luna liked best, the stories about Draco. It was rather exhilarating taking a look into Draco's life, being allowed to see past the usually cold façade he presented to his fellow students at Hogwarts and become acquainted with the real Draco. The Draco he was at home, and the Draco he was in life.

Luna liked what she was seeing so far, now he seemed more real. The confident air was still there, but the arrogance had disappeared and he was now open and willing to share his past with her. It gave her a weird tingling sensation in the pit of her stomach.

Draco for his part was having the best morning he could remember having at home except for his birthday and Christmas. It thrilled him that Luna was so interested in him and his family, that she had taken to the Manor so easily; and he readily answered the never ending questions she had. At first he had thought her interest was purely out of politeness and something to talk about, but he had quickly realised that it was nothing of the sort. Luna was genuinely interested in him.

Anything Luna wanted to know Draco was happy to tell her, he figured the more she knew about him the more she could feel for him and he was still desperate for her to feel something for him. Even if he could get her to like him as a friend he would have made considerable progress. The rippling lust for her he carried round ran hot through his veins when her big, blue eyes would turn on him full of questions. When her face lit up with interest or amusement, depending on what he was telling her; his heart skipped a beat and desire would pool heavy in his stomach.

"Have you had enough Malfoy history for one morning?" He asked, grinning across at her.

Luna glanced up at him smiling easily, "Oh I don't think I could ever get enough Malfoy history. Your house and your family are fascinating, Draco. I'm in love with your house. Can we go and see it from the outside now?"

"Of course we can. It'll be quicker to go down these stairs than go back to the main stair case." He gestured towards a side stair case and began to descend to the first floor.

"I think the main stair case is my favourite thing inside the house." Luna told him decisively.

Draco chuckled, "It's a stair case, Luna. How can that possibly be your favourite thing?"

Luna shrugged smiling. "It's very elegant and graceful isn't it? It just sort of sweeps up through the house. Just looking at it makes me think I could walk right up to the clouds on something so elegant."

He shivered slightly at the lilting serene tone she used as she followed him down the stairs, absently twirling a strand of hair around her finger. He wondered what she would say if he suddenly turned round and told her that he thought she was graceful and being around her made him feel as though he could float up to the clouds himself.