Chapter 2 - Persuading Luna

Sitting comfortably on her bed leaning back into the pink and lilac pillows Luna read and re-read the letter in her hand. It had come this morning via an unfamiliar owl who had a rather snooty look; if owls could have snooty looks. But this owl definitely looked different to any other owl she had seen.

She still wasn't really sure what to make of the letter. She very rarely received much mail that wasn't from Ginny Weasley or Hermione Granger, so to receive a letter was a rare treat; but knowing who had sent it was worrying.

Why on earth would Draco Malfoy want to meet with her this afternoon? They hadn't ever spoken before; and now out of the blue she had a letter off him that admittedly sounded rather desperate, asking her to meet him at Diagon Alley.

Luna tapped her nose with her index finger. Did she trust him enough to go and meet him? She caught sight of her reflection in the mirror. "Curiosity killed the cat." She told herself.

Swinging herself from the bed she crossed the room to her writing desk and pulled out a quill, dipping it into an ink pot she held the quill uncertainly over a piece of parchment. What should she write? Was there any real reason why she shouldn't go and meet Draco?

Dropping the quill she sighed heavily and looked at the snooty owl who was perched on the back of a chair blinking at her. It was now past ten o'clock and the bird had arrived at nine o'clock. He had been sitting patiently for over and hour waiting for her to make up her mind while she read over and over the letter and huffed and puffed to herself.

She would have to send him back soon wouldn't she, Draco might get worried about it.

Taking a treat from a draw in the desk, she crossed the room and sat on the chair holding out the treat to the owl who took it; and hooted at her as if to try to prod her into some form of reply.

"But I don't know what I should do. Why didn't he say why he wanted to see me?" Luna ran a hand through her long hair, absently brushing out the little knots with her fingers. "It's not as if he's asking to meet me somewhere quiet is it? We'll be in a public place, what can possibly happen?"

She was still not totally convinced that going along was for the best no matter how curious she was. Perhaps she could ask Ginny to go along with her?

Sighing she picked up her glass of juice from the bedside table and took a sip. It wouldn't really hurt if she went along would it? Biting on her bottom lip her hand shaking slightly she scrawled a reply stating that she would meet him at Flourish and Blotts at one o'clock.

Sealing the note she hesitated only for a few seconds before tying it to the owls leg and taking him to the window. "Ok then, take it to Draco." She opened the window a little further and allowed the owl to fly away.

"Too late to do anything about it now." She muttered, turning back to her room and throwing open the door to the wardrobe to decide what she was going to wear.

"What could Draco Malfoy possibly want?" She asked her reflection as she studied the jade green sundress she held against her.

Although it was hot again today Luna decided to leave her hair hanging free and loose down her back and ignore the bits that would stick to her neck. She looked better with her hair down and for some unexplainable reason she wanted to look as pretty as she possibly could today.

* * *

Draco paced his room dragging his hands through his hair with frustration. He had sent his owl over an hour ago and he still hadn't received a reply. He consoled himself with the old saying of no news is good news. After all, if Luna had decided against meeting him she would have sent word straight away wouldn't she?