"How are you so sure, haba?"

"Ah," Xosa frowned, remembering his brother's punishment. "Huge pink eyes? Heart-shaped freckles all over his body? Hair so dark and curly it defies all logic?"

"You know him?"

"He's family," Xosa rose, hooking his borrowed cloak around his shoulders. The hem stopped at his thighs, as did the thin tunic and waist sash Loi gave him.

Cebo laughed nervously. "Family?"

"And partially the reason why I'm here. I can't say I know him all that well, we only met once, but Loveschild and I have unfinished business. The sooner we resolve our past, the better."

"What?!"

"You're leaving already?" Loi jumped up in a frenzy. "But you just got here. At least stay the night, I promise you can kick Cebo if he snores."

"Hey!"

"Believe me, Loi, this is for the best. I tend to invite trouble if I stay in one place too long," Xosa flipped up his hood, covering his most exotic features. For the moment he appeared no different than any other peasant. Still freakishly tall, with an aura of decay and darkness, but that couldn't be helped. 

"Thank you for the supper, Cebo. It was delicious."

Forgetting his fear, Cebo blushed with praise. "It's only the best tulip stew on this side of the Xhu Zhang, haba! My mother taught me how. And her grandmother showed her before me. All because Loi sucks at cooking."

"Shut up, Cebo. You always act like a jackass when we have guests."

"I can't repay the Tejumi for the kindness you've shown me."

(not now, at least.)

If Poallu allowed Xosa back into the court of gods he would ensure this little village broken by time was blessed tenfold.

(but that was a big IF.)

Loi trailed Xosa to the hut's front door, strangling her grass skirt.

"Will you come back to visit us? After you're done with Loveschild?"

"Surely," Xosa lied. One of many, certainly not the first, and far from the last. He wasn't always so smooth at deception, his constant lying was a recent invention born out of necessity. Survival. In the past week alone, Xosa twisted and spun enough blatant fiction to knit a nice sweater.

"Beware the Hellblaze while you're out in the great big jungle," Cebo clasped Xosa's shoulder, overly familiar. How Poallu used to hold him when they were still brothers. "She'll run you to the ground before the rain and heat will."

"He doesn't know who that is, Cebo."

"Oh. Right. The Hellblaze, as we Tejumi call her, is the Commander's lover. Or, I guess, she was. A downright bloodthirsty shrew. The flowers say her army is close by, and she won't be happy if she finds out it was you who did him in. Whatever you do, stay away from her. She's dangerous."

Her name meant nothing to Xosa; The Hellblaze was just another mortal who sought to destroy him.

Outside on the porch, Loi drew close with a soft whisper.

"I don't think you are what you say you are," she said. "And I want to know what that is."

(she's ballsy. she's perfect.)

Xosa would've loved nothing more than to entertain Loi with what she wanted to hear, if it were true, a good truth, but this life sold no 100% guarantees.

"Are you a god?"

(not anymore.)

"You can trust me, you know," she tugged her skirt and swallowed. "I won't tell."

Xosa's lips twitched. "Don't be silly."

He faced the road so he wouldn't see the disappointment wash over her face. It was better this way. Better to not involve her in his calamity.

With that, Xosa said his goodbyes and departed Tejumi with a backpack, a bottle of multi-purpose lily oil (bless you, Cebo!), and the few loaves of bread Commander Starglide left behind.

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

thanks for reading! please remember to vote and comment!

follow me on instagram @therealkayelle