43. The Figurines

43. The Figurines

Year of the Roses
Floral Season
Lysia's bedroom
Altsas

Lysia

THE IVORY FIGURINES ARE A GIFT from Lud so I put them into the basket and push them under my bed. The figurines are very beautiful, each one with it's peculiar and intricate design. They are five of them; five nude females with different patterns craved into their skin. They all had huge breasts and fat thighs and wide empty eyes that stare at nothing. If my mother or Alysia see anything wrong with my so-called fiance giving me such a gift, they don't utter a word about it. The figurines haunt me, their lifeless eyes taunt me that's why I hide them from my sight.

My mother had delivered the figurines this morning after breakfast. She held the box with one hand and pinched the hem of her skirt up with the other. Her hair was decorated heavily with the gold chains and glittering jewels. She placed it on the dresser in front of me and asked me to open it. I didn't, my hands like my whole body was numb. And still is. Alysia opened the box revealing the figurines. I blanched at the sight of them and swatted them off my dresser with the fling of my arm and they fell to the ground with thin, hollow clanging.

Alysia apologised to my mother and I wonder why she bothers. She hastenly picks up the figurines and return them to their box. My mother mutters to Alysia to take care of me and she leaves. And I break down and Alysia comforts me. Amidst the tears an idea comes to mind, it's a stupid one but it will cheer me up.

"Alysia, I have an idea!" And I jump out of bed and grab the box of hideous nude figurines.

"What are you talking about?" Alysia asks tentatively.

"Just follow me!" And I race out of the room with all the enthusiasm I can muster.

Alysia follows me and we descend the spiral staircase and run all the way to the orchard. I spot a servant weeding and I approach him with Alysia behind me.

"Good afternoon," I say.

The servant bows low and greets us. I hand him the figurine and ask him to bury it, he reluctantly collects it and begins to dig.

"Are you sure, Lysia?" Alysia whisper-yells with huge eyes, she looks at me like she can't believe what is happening.

"Come help me get rid of the rest," I reply. Honestly, I am not sure what I am doing is right but it feels good.

"What if someone finds out that you got rid of them?" Alysia asks.

"I don't care. Think of it as burying treasure for our grandchildren!" And I pull her to the bridge.

"The water isn't that deep." She points out.

"Maybe we can hide it under the bridge," I say.

"What if someone sees it?"

"Again Alysia, I don't care." If I say it enough, I'll truly not care.

Alysia grabs the second figurine out of the box and grimaces. "These things are really ugly!" And she wads into the water soaking her trousers up to the top of her thighs and she crawls under the bridge and doesn't reappear for a while.

"How's it under there?" I ask while picking cobwebs out of her hair.

"Dark, damp. No one will ever find it there!" She says with a grin.

Suddenly, the both of us are walking towards the stable. Alysia tells me to wait and walks in, I hear her greet the workers and say something to them, there is a brief dialogue and she comes out with a shovel.

We walk behind the stable and Alysia starts digging, I watch for anyone making sure nobody sees what's going on. When the hole is big enough, Alysia puts the box in it and starts covering it up.

She returns the shovel and we walk hand in hand back to the palace.

"I can't believe they gave you the shovel," I say to her.

"I threatened them," she replies with a wink.

I lean in and kiss her, our lips brush. "Thank you, Alysia."

"You are welcome."

"So, what are we going to do next?" I ask.

"I have to get going", she wipes something off her dress, "I've got lessons with Duchess Alira".

"Oh." I don't want to be lonely and bored. I was hoping that Alysia and I would spend the day together.

"She wants to teach me how to be a proper Royal."

I can tell from her tone that she doesn't want to spend her day with my Aunt.

"Good luck."