|3|

16 minutes and counting, she's been staring at the brown paper bag from a local coffee shop nearby

16 minutes and counting, she's been staring at the brown paper bag from a local coffee shop nearby. A pen rested between her perfect teeth as she traced the letters printed with her eyes. This is the coffee shop she walks pass every morning on the way here. A delicate smell escapes and began to fill her office. Her stomach crying out for the delectable dough inside. Going back and forth with herself on if she should fulfill its wish of being eaten. The coffee cup sat next to it, caramel it was.

Ryan's trust in men wasn't the best, it wasn't the worse either. She hasn't had many boyfriends but the ones she did have were serious. Loving hard was one of her traits. She took her relationships serious and put her entire heart in them. After her last breakup, she'd told herself to wait a few years before trying another one. For her, they took up too much time, and right now her focus was on advancing in her career. Having to prove to her family that leaving Atlanta was a great choice and not a mistake.

"If you don't want it-"

"Shut up" Her eyes shifted towards Antoinette who stood near the large open window people watching.

"I'm saying, no point in wasting it" Turning around, she begins walking over. "I don't see anyone suspicious, you want me to just notify security?" Ryan blamed Antoinette for the mysterious guy knowing where she worked and would blame her for her death as well.

"How am I going to get home? For all I know he could be following me everywhere" Facial features more serious as she thought about a stranger following her home and watching her every move. Thinking about her sitting on the subway and him sitting right behind her, just watching. Or when she walks late at night to grab a slice of pizza when she's craving it at 2 a.m. Rolling her eyes and shaking her head, she knew she was about to be locked up in her house and ordering a security system. All this ran through her mind in a matter of minutes. It was the confidence in his voice that gave her a weird feeling.

"Ryan!" Papers slammed down on the desk startling her. "Just because a man buys you breakfast doesn't mean he's crazy. I mean you're cute but not stalker cute" Antoinette smiles playfully.

"Whatever. Did you not hear his message and voice? He sounded crazy!" she expressed, "Until we meet for lunch" she mocked, "If that ain't crazy! He didn't even ask me, he told me" she sighed as her eyes travel back to a stare-off with the bag.

"He sounded sexy and if it's the one that bought us drinks the second time then I'll go to breakfast, lunch, and dinner with him" Antoinette made a noise with her tongue sticking out. Creating images in her mind of all the nasty things she would do to him.

"You gave my number to more than one guy?"

"Girl I have to go get some work done. Ima' catch you later okay." Antoinette begins walking out with her index finger in the air. "Oh, you obviously don't want this-" turning back and grabbing the bag.

"Put it down!" through gritted teeth Ryan snatched the bag.

The New York streets were loud, many people were out this afternoon enjoying the small breeze and shining sun. Tall buildings and cars honking at pedestrians, hoping they'll cross the streets quicker. Everyone was rushing somewhere. It was always a rush. The sidewalks caught the most action, amateur street performers, small food vendors, and food trucks. This was it.

"So we're going to wait until some random dude pulls up? Then what?" Antoinette had her arms folded across her chest aggravated, telling herself over and over that she wouldn't invite Ryan anywhere else.

"You're going to tell him you were drunk. You didn't mean to give him my number and I'm not interested." Ryan Mae had her arms folded across her chest too, yet her mind was on what she wanted to eat for lunch afterward.

"Well, there goes a limo Superstar, I'm sure it's for you"

Glancing at Antoinette and giving her an evil glare.

"Oops nope nevermind, not for you!" Antoinette reached in her purse to retrieve gum. Ryan ignored her. "What time did he even say?"

"He didn't" Ryan nonchalantly responded.

"Bye" Antoinette turned around from the sidewalk they stood on and begin walking back towards the office building.

"Get back here!" Ryan yelled after her. "You're responsible for this!"

"I don't have time." Antoinette placed her index finger up again and continued walking.

Blowing out a deep sigh Ryan rolled her eyes hoping she'll trip on the stairs. "That is so rude! I can't believe you!" She crossed her arms again, "And I'm not buying you lunch!" It was official she was never hanging out with Antoinette again.

"Well, that would just ruin our plans" that smooth voice that she was now familiar with after playing it over and over in her office rung from behind. She didn't turn around. "Come on, I don't have all day"

Her eyebrows sunk in as she finally turned around, "Excuse me?" Her lips parted partially after catching sight of his beautiful face and smooth brown skin. She noticed the tattoos on his neck that peeked out from the top of the crisp white collared button-down that played behind his all-black suit. The sun shined on its expensive material, he looked like money, a lot of it. Before she continued her scan she looked back into his eyes. They were nice, really nice.

He laughed. She almost fainted from the shine of his perfect teeth but swallowed hard instead. 

"I'm kidding, come here" he held out a hand as he stood in the same position. "Let me make it up to you. I owe you."

"Owe me?" head cocked to the side slightly as she finger-combed her hair. A nervous habit of hers.

"Well I got your message" she cursed in her head because she thought she deleted them. She thought if you didn't finish it or messed up you could just hang up and start over. "All three of them. You sounded nervous" he licked his lips, eyes never leaving hers. "A bit scared" she fixed her posture, "but I'm harmless. Promise".

Ryan's stomach replied before she did. Her eyes left his and begin to look down the street behind him. A cab driver was exiting his vehicle to harass a biker who he'd apparently just hit. Unintentionally she rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"Is that a no?"

Eyes back on him. "Yes, yea it's a no. Sorry" she turned around and begin walking up the stairs.

"I don't give up easy Ryan!" he shouted from behind her causing her to look over her shoulder. "Your beauty has hypnotized me" he played as he help his chest.

"Cute" she turned back and pulled out her phone to call in an order to a pizza bar near.

"Ah so it's like that ?"he laughs. Looking towards the driver that held open the door patiently. "Okay, okay" nodding as he talked to himself now. Softly slapping the metal rail in front of him to shake the embarrassment before turning around.

"Where next?" the driver asked as Kuddie took his place in the back seat, his eyes still on Ryan.

"Take me to Browns , I need to make sure that nigga still holding my shit"