chapter thirteen ~ Dedicated to My Mother

Tari got up and helped Iyila up. When they both rose, they stared at each other, smilling: shock, excitement and admiration on both their faces. Tari hugged her again but tighter.

"Oh my God Tari, I thought I had lost you," Iyila said as she caressed Tari's hair.

"I was so worried about you. I was very devastated when I couldn't find you. I thought something bad had happened to you."

"Me too. Ha was worry too," Tari declared staring up at Iyila. Iyila stroked her face with her hand. She was yet to believe that she was not dreaming, that she was actually holding Tari in her arms again. It was just a month ago when they were seperated and she had almost gone mad with anxiety. She had sought for her but later gave up when she heard that a negro child was found dead in her shelter. She had immediately stopped searching for her because she did not want to confirm her fears.

A tear dropped from her eyes and landed on Tari's cheek. "I am so glad to see you, you have grown. I would never have recognised you if we ever had shared the same lane. You look so beautiful," she whispered and bent down.

"Ya also loog beauriful, yas air so nice, ya-hav change," Tari said. Iyila made a teary chuckle and kissed her on the face, eye, cheek, everywhere she could, all at the same time.

"You cannot imagine how terrible I felt, when they took you away, how have you been? Are you treated fairly? What do you work as? Did anyone ill-treat you?" Iyila asked in despair, scanning Tari up and down to see if she could find new scar.

"Farm, ha pick cotton, buh ham ok."

Iyila stared at her for some time. She was happy that the girl had put on weight and she didn't look so gnarly, dirty or weak as she had last seen her. She quickly engaged her into another firm hug, taking in her earth-like scent. She closed her eyes and caressed Tari's back. Excited for having the girls body pressed to hers, she didn't wish to seperate from the girl but her instincts informed her of another presence. She slowly opened her eyes to see the hallway boy standing in front of them, he had a confused facade. Her heart skipped a beat and for for the following minutes they had theirselves staring at each other until Dede broke the silence.

"What are you doing with this person Lily?" he questioned in his masculine voice that sent shivers down her spine and his voice bore an obvious disdain.

"Tis Iyila, ter one dah save me." Tari said when Iyila had disengaged her from the hug, Iyila immediately stood straight.

"Please do not tell me that this is the person that saved your life when your previous master tried to force himself on you," he said, staring at Tari-Lily. She nodded and turned to Iyila. His frown heightened and Iyila noticed that he had a very surprised look on his face, which later turned to an intense stare. His expression was that of a doubtful person, as if he could never believe she was capable of any good whatsoever. This, to her surprise, made her feel an inward loss; as if she wanted him to notice her goodness.

"I cannot believe this," Dede coldly stated.

"Which__which__ever it is you__you choose to believe Mr is utterly, your business. I sincerely do not care." Iyila said, trying not to stutter because thousands of butterflies were flying in her stomach.

He frowned. She realized he looked more handsome when he frowned. His jaw line was well carved, she had to bit her lip from spreading into a smile.

"We should start going. Lily lets go," he said already walking away.

"You cannot take her from me," Iyila angrily protested turning to face Dede. He stopped but did not turn.

"And you will stop me?" he coldly said.