chapter five ~ Dedicated to all of you

ZACHARY

Zachary stared at the dead body in front of him and sighed. Not because of regret or guilt, but relief because he felt accomplished for eliminating a stupid slave that dared defy him. He felt nonchalant, he was not bothered if anyone, regardless of their importance, considered him brutal or heartless. He wasn't bothered if his mother, whom unfortunately, was amongst those whose distaste for the measures which he used in dealing with his slaves was no longer a rumour.

No, he couldn't bother his pretty head. Even though fairness was a regular theme, his mother, in her godly fashion, had continuously preached about. He couldn't care less, to him it was all useless because it brought nothing but unnecessary respect, and it was no longer a myth that most land owners had also employed the fairness method. Useless, all useless. he thought.

Torture was a more preferable and better option. Since, unlike fairness, it propelled the slaves to execute his bidding which in turn yielded an abundant harvest. That to him was the one and only reason why the John's mansion was as remarkable as it was. He smiled, all accountable to his hard work, his savage and barbaric methods, as his mother would say. But if this method had always worked for him all these years and had brought nothing but good, why stop it?

Any method contrary to this method was imprudent.

"Zachary." called, a quivering voice beside him, he shuddered but slightly. So slightly that it required so much concentration to notice and being so engrossed in his thoughts that he had practically forgotten about his sister that stood near him. Slowly he turned his gaze to meet her beautiful eyes that he had grown to love and adore. But they were not fixed on him but on the dead body in front of them. When she finally raised her eyes to meet his he couldn't identify the warmth that had normally enticed him. They were glassy due to the unshed tears and the horror on her face, a vivid proof of an unsaid fear.

"Mother won't approve this." she uneasily said staring at him, as if reading his thoughts. He nodded. "But, but, we can make up something." she said as the tears began to pour, he quickly offered a warm smile as he playfully caressed her face.

"Mother won't approve this but I don't care, she is entitled to her opinions." he said and she nodded.

"Go inside and rest, you need it." he playfully said in a bid to lighten the mood.

Reluctantly, she nodded and scurried into the house.

Zachary sighed as he watched her leave. Women, how soft they can be. he thought.

He couldn't understand why Collete was acting so sentimental, why she was wasting so many tears for a useless slave that defied her. Women were mysterious beings and trying to understand them was not a job he was willing to accept, for now. he thought.

He cast his gaze over the slaves. Though distance was a barrier, yet he noticed them fidgeting and this was the part he loved most. Their fear. He didn't want their respect but all he regarded worthy was their undoubted fear.

Just as he was about to return his gaze to the lifeless body in front of him, his eyes unwilling caught a figure, dark gold hair that shone beautifully under the evening sun. Though for a minute it could be assumed they were long blonde locks, but when the owner shifted out of the sun, it became clear that it was indeed black hair. He chuckled when he realized the girl to be the very one that was staring at him some minutes before. But what really caught his attention was the black slave almost entwined to her.

He noticed the black haired girl to be a mulatto; so how ever on earth was a black doing with a mulatto? In all his years as a plantation owner he had lived to understand the rift between the blacks and the mulattos, and how they hated each other so?

Could the girl be her daughter? he thought as he confusedly romanced his hairy chin. He felt excited to know more about this girl. As he stared at her, he noticed some of his men dragging the black slave away and the mulatto wasn't prepared to let go. But eventually did after being slapped by one of his men.

Zachary felt more than excited, at least he had a job to do. Breaking their will was a breath taking job that he enjoyed and he felt excited to be at it again. He noticed the girl and some other mulatto were been ordered to move towards the house.

The girl was without doubt a beauty. This, he lustfully noticed as she and her group neared him. Her long-slender leg, courtesy of the short tattered gown she wore was easy to identify and he found it enticing and he couldn't help noticing her full breasts.

He believed with all conviction that behind that tattered gown was a beautiful woman but one slight issue disqualified her worthy of gracing his bed, her hair.

He loathed black haired women, he grunted, If only she was blonde. Folding his arms, he felt disappointed. But his airy mood soon returned when he spotted a blond girl behind her.

He exhaled and that was the instant he realized, he had unconsciously held his breath the moment he noticed the black haired girl. He chuckled as he bent his head, he felt ashamed, stupid to have forgotten to breath.

For what? a mere slave. he hatefully thought.

But when he eventually raised his head, he noticed the black haired slave was almost near him and she was no longer crying as he had witnessed. Contrary to her prior gesture. Her gaze was fixed on him and her face bore the expression of a determined enemy and surprisingly, it frightened him. He frowned, foolish Zachary, she is a mere slave. he reasoned. As she walked past him he realized he was staring and he couldn't stop just as she had also tried to restrain herself when she first saw him.

Authors note: comment and vote