Book Two

Sitting beside a woman during a along journey was adventurous as well as entertaining. Particularly when the lass was a coquette and bold. Nevertheless, it could on some occasions be frustrating.

Gabriel uncomfortably shifted in his seat as the lady beside him moved closer. When he moved closer to the window, he knew there was no escape route for him except to jump down from the moving train. He knew he had no other option than to bear the persistent lass throughout the duration of the journey.

He had tried all he could to avoid this one, but the lass was a strong-willed fellow and was determined on getting his attention. He was no stranger to this. He was used to the stares and intense admiration from the opposite sex. At the railway station, before he boarded the train, a lady had tripped over as she focused on him. Most times he took advantage of the opportunity; however he was just not in the mood for a discussion. Still the lass refused to let him be. She had also almost stumbled over when she saw him seated in the seat next to her. From then on, she had not for a minute paused in her unremitting chatter. He nodded in order not to seem rude even when he wasn't listening.

Once she asked him about his fantasies, in a very false airy tone. In a voice that sounded like a purr, which his lovers used to entice him. He stared at her and in a minute he knew she was a loose skirt.

She was a pretty lass, elegant and ravishing. Her cheek bones were well defined and with a straight defiant nose. Her make up was rather heavy like that of a prostitute, coupled with the low neckline of her gown. Low enough for him to see everything without her bothering to unveil it. He found her charming but he wasn't sure if he wanted her. Experience had taught him to listen to his head rather his pintle. More so after the incident with his last lover.

A smile appeared on his face when he thought of their argument back at his apartment in Chicago. He was fortunate to have ducked in time when she threw a knife at him. She had cursed him, insulted him, and had thrown almost everything she could get hold of at him, the night he tried to pay her off after their love making. He didn't even remember her name, in the climax of passion she had agreed to him calling her sugar. He knew she would have even accepted if he had choosen to call her hog.

Sugar had expected more, even though he was precise with their relationship. The lass beside him was just like her. At first wanting nothing except a night, then later fighting to plant her feet. Sugar was nothing but a partner just like the others. He'd helped them with his influence while they had helped him with his urges. He wasn't a gentleman, but he was fair. Yet like a treachous partner, they usually went against their argreement in the end, making him feel like a villain.

He sighed and turned to the window, their moment was just like the trees that whizzed past them like a whisper.

"Are you married?" the lady asked. Just like before, asking stupid questions at the least expected moment. Most times interrupting his thoughts, but he promised to remain calm. Sooner or later he would be free from her clutches. Grinning, he showed her his hand.

"Oh!" she gasped in surprise, but he knew she feigned it. Interpreting women was the benefit of knowing so many. "I cannot believe that a man as handsome as you is single, were you married?"

"I have never been married lady and I have_ what is your name?" he enquired. The expression on her face told him she had mentioned it, he quickly braced himself.

"I mean, do you have any other name, than the one you told me?" he asked hoping she didn't get the painting. He was sure she was too dumb to notice a thing. Giggling she replied, "Well, aside from Dorothy, you may call me Charming," she whispered in his ears.

He nodded, how typical. "Well miss Dorothy, if you__"

"No, no, Charming. Please call me Charming. I inisist you do," she whispered again. He could percieve her sweet scent. Possibly she had bathed in it. All he wanted was to peel her off his skin as some passengers were already beginning to stare at them. He wasn't bothered by society, but the lass was like a leach; sucking his patience. Just then a dubious grin clouded his face. He had the perfect plan, just the perfect one to get rid of her without seeming rude.

Quickly, he picked up his small box where he kept all the important things that he needed. He rummaged in his box while his admirer watched in confusion.

"What is it?" she complained but he didn't say a word to her but continued searching the box until he found just what he wanted: a volume of Aristole's work. He stole another glance at her, he was quite certain about his plan. He was sure a woman as pretty as her didn't bother about learning. Rather her sort preferred gossip from the way she looked.

Turning to her he spoke, "I want to believe that a woman as charming as your name implies, is a learned fellow."

"Ha__yes_of course, I can read. I can__definitely read this," she sheepishly replied, uneasily scanning the book. He bit his lip from spreading into a smile.

She feigned a smile and enquired about the title. Gabriel replied her and asked her to read while he listened but he knew that she couldn't.

"I think I have a headache, can you please hold this while I search for my medicine," she threw the book at him. And that was how she let him be, feigning sleepiness until the train whistled and gradually reduced it's speed. Finally lurched with a resounding noise. They had arrived in Charleston.

When they the train halted, Gabriel was unsure about decending from the train. From the window he saw a crowd at the railway station. Sellers, buyers and a host of others. Some waiting to board the trail while others waiting for their loved ones. He knew none was there for him. He hadn't notified them of his return because he had been unsure of his coming. He turned to his corner and realized that the lass was gone without a word to him. Reluctantly, he pulled himself up. And, like a goat dragged to the slaughter house, he moved out to mix in the crowd. The moment he stepped his foot on Charleston soil, he saw himself as a twelve year old being whipped by his father .

Swiftly, he closed his eyes and tried to calm his nerves. He was shocked to have remembered that dreaded day. It had been years since he thought of it, more than six years.

Then he opened them and saw that some people were staring at him. He didn't know what they were staring at in particular; his face, height, or his confused state. Nonetheless he wasn't bothered. Looking around, he saw that Charleston had changed in the four years since his last visit. The South was nothing like the North.

Though the people were still the same, there were some evident structural changes. The buildings had changed, but he could still see Negroes walking with their heads bowed. Some trailing behind their owners, clearly shaking with fear.

This sight was one that he had dreaded so much, one he'd for the past four years been running away from. Just then a man walked past, dragging along his female negro. Removing his hat, Gabriel swallowed hard and adjusted his cravat then he stared at his boxes. He turned to the train and saw that passengers were already boarding. He could still turn back to Illinios and live his life just the way it was, as a lawyer, as a rake. The highest it would cost him was to triple the price of the rail ticket and wire his mother a letter of apology just like he had done every other time. But that would only confirm him to be a coward.

He inwardly groaned. "You can do this," he whispered to himself. He could do it. He was no more the young boy. He was now a man, a brother and a son. If for anything for the sake of Collete and Susan. He missed Susan, and Collete was just a girl when he left. He assumed she was now a full grown lady probably in love. As for Zachary they were brothers yet distant. Even till now, he didn't know why they couldn't talk but they had grown up that way. The only person he dreaded was his cursed father. He hoped they didn't kill each before the end of his stay.

He sighed again. He loathed the South. He loathed Charleston. It reminded him of too much he earnestly wished to forget. However, he had come too far to resign. He wore his hat and picked up his small box. Just as he was about to call for transport, a body collided with his, pushing him to the ground with force.

For some seconds his mind went blank and all he could hear was the desperate plea of a girl on top of him. He opened his eyes when he felt her rise up. He saw a mullato Negro on her knees, saying, "I'm deeply sorry."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note; Gabriel is here. Pls pls tell me what u

think. What do u think of him