chapter ten ~ Dedicated to my nephews

OUT FOR A BATH 

Dedicated to my newest twin nephews, love - from your aunt.

Deila's idea of getting a bath was not bad, it was suicidal. Anxious and fidgeting, Iyila and Deila hid behind a tree, as they impatiently waited for the lights in the mansion to go dead before embarking on their expedition. Each leaning on a tree as they stood focusing their gaze on the building, scanning the dark forest for slave guards that might be passing by.

True, the tree served as a shield yet fear was inevitable; if caught, the punishment was better left to the imagination. Much as they couldn't deny their fear, the thought of having a bath seemed worthy enough since they were both dressed in filthy clothes and stunk like dirty underarms owing to the accumulated sweat.

Iyila could barely recall the last time she had had a bath, but everything at the John's mansion had a price tag, even a simple bath, as explained by Deila. Iyila was informed that they were permitted to have their bath once a week, usually on Sundays since it was mostly a work-free day .

At first, Iyila had acted indifferently towards Deila's solution to the issue. She presumed it to be dangerous - she could hardly fathom why one would risk so much just to get a bath, however, when Deila assured her that it was safe enough if they were cautious - what with her one year of expertise and all - she couldn't disagree any further; after all, the old broom knows the corners of the house.

"Are you sure this safe?" Iyila whispered just as she tried to adjust her oversized gown which never stopped dropping at the shoulder, sometimes exposing a fair deal of her bosom. Whomever it might have belonged to was probably wider, shorter and curvier than her, seeing as she resembled a clothed stick. If only she could locate her other gown, the one she had washed and spread behind their quarters and which according to Deila had been stolen, not lost, as Iyila had presumed. To stress her opinion, Deila had even picked out a fellow slave whom she suspected but couldn't confront due to lack of evidence.

Sighing, Deila turned to her, "Ha' many tines do I have to tell ya dat 'tis safe?" she whispered.

"I know but I cannot help but worry..." Iyila mumbled, shaking her head.

"Why do ya have to complain so much, 'tis bad luck!" Deila scolded.

"Deila, aren't you bothered about our safety? We could get caught."

"No one is gonna catch us Iyila, don ya trust me?"

"How can you be so sure? After all we...."

" Iyila!" Deila exclaimed, sounding sterner.

"tis nor too late for yah to turn back," she added, "If ya wan go - go! If ya stays - den stop da complain'!" Deila said, returning her gaze to the house.

Judging by the tone of Deila's voice, Iyila knew she was quite annoyed and an argument was the last thing they needed to further endanger their situation. So for once, she decided to keep her opinions to herself as the two of them stood in silence, each alert and watchful.  

From where they stood Iyila could faintly make out the members of the house as they all got up from the dinning to leave for their various designated chambers. Shortly after they left, the light from the dinning went dead, followed by the light from Susan's room. Minutes later, Colette's room darkened as well.

"Think tis safe now!" Deila said excitedly. 

However, Iyila noticed that one room in the building was rather alive. Without hesitation, she frantically whispered to her companion, asking her how she hadn't noticed it. Only to be informed that the room in question was Mr John's drawing room where he and his son, Zachary, frequently drank till midnight.