Chapter 12

"Mother, do you know if we have any books about aliens or space?" I asked, dropping my bag at the door. Oikawa mimicked me, slipping off his much larger shoes next to mine.

"Ah, I do remember seeing them just recently," she called over her shoulder, sitting once more at her desk. The walls of our house were lined with bookshelves, the books stacked neatly.

"Anzu, I would check the static case. Your mom was looking over there for some inspiration," my father weakly moaned, closing the door behind him.

With I nod, I drifted over towards the bookcase furthest from the small TV. My fingers drifted across the spines as I scanned the titles. After pulling a few out,  Oikawa spoke up.

"Static case?" he mumbled. "What does that mean?"

"For some odd reason, we can't keep anything electrical near this case. So we call it the static case."

He nodded, and his eyes lit up as I handed him the books we had. Almost instantly he began to flip through the pages.

"Feel free to sit anywhere," my mother said, still distracted by her work.

"No!" His head quickly appearing from the kitchen door, my father glared into the room. "Don't sit by my daughter!"

The brunette setter seemed at a loss. He glanced around, trying to find a place that would appease all.

"Sit over by the window," I told him, guesturing in the general direction. "It's comfortable, well lit, and too far for him to see."

As he ambled over to the spot, I approached my mother's desk and took the papers from her hands. She grumbled but didn't fight. I scanned the pages I hadn't seen before and nodded. Seeing the aproval on my face, my mother grinned.

"Snacks!" A few moments later my father placed a tray of hand foods and stood eagerly waiting. Deep in a book about various cultures, I ignored his call. If his crestfallen cry was any indicator, my mother did the same.

It wasn't until I heard Oikawa trying to comfort the older man that I got up. Instantly I was met with the sight of my father trying to decide to create a scene or attack the brunette in front of him. Oikawa was clearly panicking, able to see the man's struggle.

"Thanks," I muttered popping one into my mouth. After swallowing I returned my gaze to my book. "It's good..."

"Ah, Anzu!" He gave in and hugged Oikawa in his joy. I watched the interaction between the two with a small smile as I walked down the shelves. Putting my book back, I pulled out one I had just bought recently. As I opened to the first page, I felt myself being sucked in.

The words twisted and merged together to form characters and objects, each down to the smallest detail.

"Ah, A-Anzu-"

"Shh! Don't break her..."

Everything around me went silent as I dove deeper into the book. Voices faded to a dull hum, but something remained the entire time I read. There was this warmth. It felt different than a fire or heater, even different from curling up under a blanket.

But it wasn't uncomfortable. In fact, I enjoyed it.

With the company of the warmth, I continued to read until the light from outside began to fade. As my pages grew darker, I forced myself to close my book.

It didn't take me long to figure out where the warm had come from.

In my automatic state, I had retreated to my window seat. The exact one I had told Oikawa to use. I sat leaned up against his side, the two of us filling the space. Our legs had tangled slightly, and he seemed unbothered.

I quickly stood and walked away. For some reason, my face grew warm, and I assumed it was from sitting in the sun for so long. It wouldn't be the first time.

"Ah, Oikawa, shouldn't you be heading homw soon?" my mother inquired. "We wouldn't mind you staying, but we also don't want to keep you out too long."

I heard him stand. "I probably should be on my way. Thank you for your hospitality," he said.

"No problem, my dear."

"Don't do anything stupid with your knee before tomorrow," I interjected.

He sighed. "So mean, Anzu-chan."

I waved him off, and checked to make sure he grabbed the correct bag. After seeing my books inside, I realised he left his alien and space books over by the window.

"Idiot," I sighed. "I'm going to have to bring these tomorrow."

There was a sudden silence. The rustling of papers stopped.

"Anzu, did you just say you were taking him those books?"

"Yes. He was looking for books of this type."

"But, are you giving them to him?" my father pressed.

"I don't see why not. I've already read them." I turned around to see my parents staring at me.

"Anzu, do you like that boy?"

My eyes widened slightly as I looked at the door. Did I?