Chapter 6

For the most part I sat up in the stands, reading or working on assignments. Ever once in a while the coach would call me down to ask a question or help with somethings. Sometimes the guys would have me help with practice, but I wasn't really sure why. 

"Michishio-san!" I looked up from the spare notebook I had been slowly filling up during practices. The coach was waving at me from down at the court where the team was busy with a scrimmage. I grabbed my things and made my way down out of the upper stands. I placed my things next to the doors but kept the notebook in my arms. 

"Yes?" He motioned for me to stand by his side and watch the boys.

"Say, I would like your advice. I recently got a call from another school who wanted to arrange a practice match with us."

"Iriata-sensei, why would you ask me about such a decision? It should be up to you and the team. Do you believe the match would be beneficial to the team?" I glanced at him before turning back to the team. Iwaizumi spiked a final toss and ended the game. "What school was it?"

"Karasuno." The name sounded familiar, and I realized that the majority of the Sousake girls had gone there. 

"Oikawa-san! Iwaizumi-san!" I called, drawing their attention away from talking about what to improve. 

"What's up?" Iwaizumi said as I made my way over to them, effectively drawing the attention of the others. 

"Iriata-sensei just informed me that you have a prospective practice match. Since it's really going to be you guys participating, what do you think?" 

"It sure does sound interesting," Oikawa mused. 

"What school?"

"Karasuno High," I replied, instantly noticing the change in Oikawa's face. 

"I'm in," he said. "But on one condition." I gave him a confused look, his serious expression confusing me even more. "Tobio-chan has to play the entire time."

"Who?" I asked. 

"Kageyama Tobio, Oikawa's kouhai from junior high," Iwaizumi answered. I nodded and turned back to coach. I made my way back over to him where he sat waiting. 

"I see no problems. A practice match could be good for the team, and it seems like Oikawa-san has a rival or something with their team. Considering that, I think we should take their offer with his condition. If someone is considered by Oikawa to be a worthy opponent, we should definitely use this opportunity."

"Why do you think that?" he asked. 

"Well, considering Oikawa-san's statistics, he ranks very high compared to other players. Nationally even. If he considers the other setter a worthy opponent, it would be beneficial to get some information on that player," I answered, looking at my notebook. 

"Statistics?" I handed him the notebook, and watched as he flipped through the pages. 

"It's a well known fact that Oikawa is a great player. But there are a few things I've noticed during practices that really set him apart."

"This... These notes are detailed, but it's not anything that deals with volleyball," he said. 

"On the contrary. Oikawa-san's personality may be annoying and loud, but he knows the weaknesses and strengths of his teammates and uses that to his advantage. He has a strong bond with Iwaizumi, and so in a pinch he will toss to Iwaizumi without hesitation. He brings out the very best qualities of the people around him, with also translates into the games." I blushed slightly, noticing Coach staring at me. 

"That's the most I've ever heard you say." I turned around to see the entire team standing behind me listening. I squeaked a little in surprise and started to mess with my glasses. 

"Well, it's true," I muttered. 

"Aw, Michishio-san thinks highly of the captain," Matsukawa said, putting an arm around my shoulders. 

"Not really. Oikawa-san is a pointless flirt," I said, pushing his arm off me. "He may be good at volleyball, but his social skills could use work."

"Anzu-chan! My social skills are fine! I'm actually very popular," he replied with a smug smile. 

"Flirting does not count as socializing unless you flirt with guys as well," I said. 

"But-"

"I didn't know that our captain went both ways!" someone called. The team started laughing, causing Oikawa to start whining. 

"Tell them it isn't true Anzu-chan! At least you know I'm popular!"

"I wouldn't define popular as having a large group of girls follow you around hoping they could get the chance you kiss you hard enough that they would accidentally suck out your soul." 

Once again the team burst into laughter. 

"Oh come on Anzu-chan!" 

"Stop complaining," I replied turning away. "I know a few girls who live for bugging the life out of people." 

"Are you sure they aren't Oikawa-san's relatives?" I chuckled as Oikawa protested. Since practice was over and a decision had been reached, I made my over to the doors to grab my stuff. Except it wasn't there anymore. I looked over my shoulder to see they guys finishing cleanups and heading to the locker rooms. 

"I swore I put it here," I muttered, looking for it near by. When I didn't see it, I ran back up to the stands and looked where I was sitting. But it wasn't there either. I slowly made my way back down, thinking about if I misplaced it or not. 

"Anzu-chan!" Oikawa called, waving at me despite only being a few feet away. "I'll be outside in just a moment, 'kay?" I nodded and walked back outside, lost in my thoughts until Iwaizumi stood next to me. 

"Something wrong?"

"I swore I placed my books at the door," I answered. 

"I'll help you look." We looked outside again, before heading back inside the gym. I stood a few feet from the door as Iwaizumi went into the locker room to see if one of the guys took them. 

"Nothing." I sighed, drumming my fingers on my arms. Oikawa stood nearby, giving me a sad look. 

"I'm sure they'll turn up," he smiled, before leading the way out after I gave a nod. There wasn't much we could do. 

I followed the boys out the door, Iwaizumi and I nearly running into Oikawa's back. We peered around him to see my books sitting in a pile right outside the door. 

"What the hell?" Iwaizumi and I both said.