Chapter 9

Oikawa appeared at school again, with a knee brace and a promise to the doctor and his friend to stay away from too much activity. That didn't stop him from going to practice and watching from the sidelines. Almost out of habit I would make my way to the gym after school, but I managed to stop myself from entering each time. 

Before I would turn around and leave the grounds my feet remained firmly planted, my eyes open as I watched the guys get ready for practice. I forced myself to leave before I could make eye contact with Iwaizumi or Oikawa. And before the other players would say something about my presence. 

Rinko was busy with tutoring after school, and our difference in classes didn't help with the separation. I could see that she was wondering what exactly had happened, and why I was distancing myself from the three. It seemed like Iwaizumi had made up with Rinko, though I wasn't sure what made her sway in his favor. 

"Poor girl."

"He must have rejected her." 

I thought I had gone back to the unnoticed girl in the back of the room, but it still seemed like my life was on display. It was the twist of fate that had sent me further from my friends. Even with the small numbers at Sousake I didn't feel so... apart. 

But there wasn't anything to be done about it now. 

"It's only to be expected. I mean, look-"

"Michishio-san." A voice cut off the whispering gossips that floated into my conscious as I tried to read. The words on the page seemed to bleed together. 

I looked up, and saw one of our middle blockers standing next to my desk. "Matsukawa-san."

"You haven't been at practices." I nodded and placed a bookmark in the pages. My book was then sat on top of my bag. "The arrival of two transfer students, both girls, has really shaken the school. Classes got mixed up, gossip's more prominent then ever."

"You don't normally have this much to say." I stared up at the dark haired boy, challenging him to say otherwise. "What is it that you want to say?"

"I heard about the shouting match that happened." 

"And?" The chatter around us steadily grew as the day came closer to an end. 

"You suddenly cut of contact with the team. You went back to being the silent girl in the back of the room. What for?" The bell rang, students piling out the doors as our teacher feebly packed up his stuff. 

"Practice starts soon. You don't want to be late." I grabbed my bag and left, making it out the building doors before Matsukawa grabbed my elbow and led me to the gym. 

"Practice starts soon. We don't want to be late," he replied with a slight smirk. I gave no reply and let the tall boy drag my to the gym entrance. 

"Enjoy practice. I don't want to hear about your loss to Karasuno." I gave a small bow and scurried away. If I stayed I might be even closer to entering that gym. I felt his eyes on me as I walked off campus, my head lowered and bag tight against my chest. 

"Looks like she moved on rather quickly." 

I was about to reach my limit. All of the stares from other girls and their incorrect words were slowly piling onto all of my worries. 

"Maybe she just likes sporty types." 

I made my walk in silence, sighing as I pushed open the door. The house was quiet, but I wasn't sure if that meant no one was home. Pulling off my shoes, I placed my bag into the table and made my way into the living room. On the bookshelf sat a note. 

Anzu, your father begged me to go with him and get a new coffee table. Knowing him, it's going to be a few hours before we get back. There's some money in the cupboard so you can get yourself something from the store. Stay safe and see you soon. -Mom

I pulled off my glasses and sighed, imagining the sight of my father admiring all of the different tables. I glanced at the clock and groaned. 

"I'd better go now before it gets too late." I quickly grabbed the cash stored in the cupboard and placed it into a small pouch before slipping my shoes back on. I locked the door behind me, and started down the sidewalk to the nearest store. I was still in my school uniform, but that wasn't unusual. 

I walked through the isles of the store, my eyes blankly looking at the shelves. I wasn't too hungry, and I could always cook at home. I reached out for some milk bread, but ended up hitting hands with someone else. 

"Oh, hi Anzu-chan!" Great. "You like milk-bread too?"

I looked up to see Oikawa in all of his glory, dark brown eyes shining. 

"Hello Oikawa-san." He blinked, his positive expression turning blank with shock. "What?"

"Did something happen?" he asked, suddenly serious. This must be what his teammates were talking about. 

"I could ask you the same thing." 

"What?"

"Something's been off with your expressions for a long time," I said, grabbing one loaf for each of us. "Don't lie to me about it." 

"W-well what about you? You seemed cold all of a sudden." 

"Are you that daft?"

"Anzu-chan! You're not supposed to say such mean things to friends!" I stopped, turning back to the brunette with wide eyes. I blinked a few times, staring at the boy in confusion. 

He returned the look. "What?" we said together. 

"Well, see you at practice tomorrow! Bye bye Anzu-chan!" He suddenly turned and walked away, holding a hand to his face. 

"What the-" I shook my head, and bought the bread before heading back home, thoughts of Oikawa filling my head. I leaned my back up against my door, a small smile finding it's way to my face. 

"What an idiot. Always so optimistic."