LITTLE WHITE LIES

Start from the beginning

''Gen and Peter have been a thing for a while you know?'' Lara Jean said. No she clearly didn't know. And the way Rita glanced towards her friend showed Lara Jean she was thinking just that. The dark straight haired girl rolled her eyes at Rita who was to quick to react not letting her finish. ''But it's a joke the relationship they have so maybe he didn't lie when he told you he was single babe.'' Lara Jean informed. ''Gen's always leaving him for some other boy, gets tired of them, goes back to same old Peter who is clearly so dumb.'' Rita widened her eyes at Lara Jean and then the two girls chuckled in perfect chorus. ''Rita, I'm not blind. I knew before you- well you clearly still haven't realized you like him.''

Rita always believed that she was able to hide her feelings from everyone. She was one people have trouble reading, or so she thought. Lara Jean could easily see it in her eyes, and the way they shone whenever Peter came in sight, see it in the way she unconsciously always leaned over him whenever they were side by side, or realize it by the non stopping smile she never gave up on in his presence. However Lara Jean didn't dare to mention it to her. ''But oh I always hoped I was seeing things.'' Lara Jean admitted.

''I don't like him dude, I've known him for just two full days.'' Rita said it loud. Hoping to get some kind of feedback from her friend. How long did it really take to like someone? To Rita it seemed to be instant and it was rather ridiculous. 

''Love has no perception of time.'' Lara Jean sounded so wise it made Rita take an inspiring deep breath and think for a while. 

But that was not the answer she hoped to have. Lara Jean had the same hopelessly romantic soul as Rita, of course they shared opinions. It was suspect to believe. 

''Even if I do'' She said with the tone of someone who was so sure that saying it out loud would turn it official, and then it would be harder to deny and forget. ''He's with Gen now.'' She shook her head gagging her name. ''With fucking gen!'' Rita's eyes turned dark as gathering storm clouds. ''It could be anyone!'' Lara Jean stood silent while listening to Rita's angry outbursts and soft reminiscences. ''We even had contests where we saw how far we could dangle our spittle without breaking, does Gen do that?''

Attentively bringing her to reality whenever she softened up too much, or got mad too little.

''You're a good listener Covey.'' Rita said looking up to Lara Jean. Her head was laid on her friends legs, who was gently caressing her throbbing head.

''I've been told!'' She smiled proudly.

Rita avoided Peter for the remainder of the day, even hid in a broom closet when she saw his hair in sight at the end of the hallway, it also helped they didn't have a single class together on that Thursday. 

She couldn't talk to him upon witnessing the disgrace he held with Gen in the hallway, she knew she would be mad at him and she knew she didn't have the right to. 

After all, she had overlooked every single thing, at least that's what she kept repeating to herself, so it would stuck, after all he didn't lie regardless did he? He didn't have a girlfriend up until that morning probably... It's all on Rita.

So once she understood that the bitterness raised like bile into her mouth each minute that passed and she wasn't angry, at least not as much, she was bitter and it was worse.

''Ready?'' Isaac said after the last class ended and his practice had also ceased, to which Rita refused to watch and stood alone at the library waiting impatiently for time to pass. 

They seemed to have practice every single day, but in reality it was only the first week, to get them into the lost routine and mindset for the new season.