Chapter 4

Hell's Survivors

“I never thought that Scarlet would do all of that, much less in a month. I guess Clark dying must’ve shaken her more than I thought.” I said out of surprise. I never would’ve assumed that the girl I saved ten year ago before the destruction of our town would become the world famous Hell’s Wanderer. This sparked up many thoughts in my head, but the most dominant one that would appear is the time I saved her ten years ago after the plant exploded. I started to reminisce on the girl I saved from the rubble ten years ago, before we entered life’s hell.

I was on my way home from school with my mother after a recent terrorist attack in our town, when I noticed something odd. There was a girl about the same age as me, but the most noticeable feature was that she had hair that was completely unnatural, her hair was a scarlet color, the color of blood. She was unconscious with the appearance of blood along her body. Her clothes were torn all over, possibly from the explosion that had happened in this district by a string of pipe bombs that went off last night.

“Mom, there’s a girl over there. She looks hurt pretty bad, we need to help her!” I yelled at my mom while pointing over towards the girl. My mom walked towards the wrecked house that most likely belonged to the unconscious girl, and looked worried. She pulled out her cell phone, and dialed for emergency services to help this girl. “Issac, you don’t need to worry. I called for some help for this girl, but they’re not going to be able to do much unless we clear a path for them. Can you start on that side, and I’ll get the other.” My mom pointed towards the sidewalk to the road. We moved rubble, and branches along the sidewalk towards the girl.

After ten long minutes we cleared enough room to have a stretcher get towards the girl, when an ambulance arrived. We told the paramedics what we saw, and they told my mom that this was occurring frequently due to the recent attack. “Yo boss! This girl is alive, but only barely! We need to get her to the hospital as fast as we can!” yelled back a paramedic. “Ok, load her onto the stretcher. Are there signs of anyone else there?” said the boss. “There are, however anyone else here is dead.” said the grief stricken paramedic. “That’s a shame.” the boss said. “Ma’am, we’re going to have to ask you to accompany this girl to the hospital. We don’t know who the parents are, but we have no choice but  to assume the worst has happened, and we have to follow guidelines here, so under that setting, we have no choice but to make you the temporary guardian until we locate her parents or a legal guardian.” he told my mom. “Yeah, I’ll go with you, but I can’t leave my six year old son by himself. He will have to go with me as well.” My mom said to the head paramedic.

We rode towards the hospital at an alarming speed, which was a lot for my tiny brain to handle at the time. The ride was bumpy, but it wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would, even though the ambulance looked smaller than it was inside. There were medical instruments all around me, a few of which I could name because my father worked as a doctor at the hospital we were headed to. The girl was hooked up to an IV drip, and a heart rate monitor, while the paramedics were bandaging her wounds. The girl looked far worse than what I had initially thought, however she didn’t look like she was in pain. She looked like she was having a dream about something happy because she would smile every so often.

The hospital was about twenty minutes away from where we were initially, but due to the sirens, and lights going off, the people in their cars would move to the side of the road. The lights would change from red to green to let us pass, and in my head it looked like the world actually wants us to save this girl, it wanted us to save the oddly colored hair girl.

When we finally got to the hospital we were loaded off of the ambulance, and accompanied the girl into the emergency section of the hospital. We went through what was a maze of hallways and rooms to finally get to where we were headed; the room in which the girl would stay for the next few days. A nurse came in and checked the bandages on the girl, and changed the IV drip bag. Eventually a doctor came in, and did a basic check up on the girl; taking her pulse, her breathing, looked for any signs of infection to which nothing was critically wrong.