Chapter 3

Hell's Wanderer

“Issac, do you ever wonder what it’s like to be on the receiving end of what we do? Like if we switched places with the people we fight because we either took a job from the underground, or the military ordered us to do it. I mean, they must have a purpose for doing what they do, they probably were affected by what happened in their past, and that caused them to be on the side we’re fighting against.

Are they wrong because they made someone mad, or are they really doing something that hurts others? Hell are they wrong because they went about trying to be vigilantes, but went about it the wrong way? This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night, so what do you think Issac?” Said Clark.

The night before our mission, Clark asked me this. I had pondered over what Clark had said. In all honesty he had a point. Do we really fight, and even sometimes kill these people because we were ordered to, or even took a job to do? We’ve been on countless jobs, many of which were simple find a simple object, but a vast majority of the jobs we had done involved taking down a group, or a person. I wonder what happened to those people we brought back to claim our reward… Did they die by the hands of the government, or were they imprisoned for the rest of their lives? Are we really the good guys because we side with the law, or were we just being manipulated by the government, and the people who posted those jobs for unjust revenge? We usually did this without a second thought, but now that I think about it… Are we truly the good guys? This was something that would keep people up at night.

“I never had even thought about it until now. There must’ve been a reason that they did what they did, and they did what they thought is right, but we’re punishing them for doing what they thought was right, even though they broke the law. In some cases breaking the law has to be done to do what they did. Hell I’m positive that we’ve broken the law numerous times just to get these guys, yet we get paid for it, and they get imprisonment or worse. In that logic, I guess that makes us just as guilty, if not more because we repeatedly do it.” I replied.

I looked back up at the sky to see it filled with stars. The stars around were brighter than in the city due to there being not much light pollution around us in the clearing of the forest around here. Tomorrow we’ll head into Clark’s hometown of Little Rock city near the mountains we’re currently in. Tonight was the result of us walking for two days from the military station we got this job from. Tonight the stars were clearly in view, shining brighter than most of the other places we had visited before. We could see galaxies far away, summer constellations, just tiny specks in the sky that have fascinated scientists for many centuries in the past.

I noticed one star that shined brighter than the rest, but oddly enough it wasn’t the northern star. This one was about as bright as that one as well, but as I ran through the constellations and important stars in my head, I could only think of one star that was like that, but it wasn’t winter, it couldn’t be that one. I decided to brush it off as a supernova star that had just finally collapsed. One less star in the sky, just like we were about to have one star less between the three people in delta team.

When I awoke I noticed three things about my current situation; first off, I felt like I had been hit by a football team in semis, second I had bandages all over my body from my fight, and lastly there was a small amount of pressure on my stomach. I started to get my self up right, but even that small amount of effort caused immense pain in my chest and used all my strength just to do that simple task. I really was in bad shape, no wonder Scarlet was afraid I might’ve died.