Never Kiss And Tell - 1

Chapter 1

                “You know, I blame you for this,” Caroline, my best friend, told me as she leaned her head against the wall and crossed her arms over her chest. As always, she was just being dramatic.

                So maybe it hadn’t been a good idea to go skinny dipping in a random person’s pool. So maybe we should have checked to see if they were home before we started yelling and laughing so loud. But we’re young, and all teenagers do stupid shit, right?

                “Just because I came up with the idea doesn’t mean you had to agree on it,” I told her matter-of-factly.  I turned my attention away from the police officer filling out paperwork in the room in front of us and looked at her. “Plus, you’re the one that was complaining about how bored you were. So blame yourself.”

                “It’s not my fault it sounded good at the time,” she muttered under her breath, but I caught every word.

                A smirk played on my lips as I looked back at the plump man in his office. “What’d you say?” I inquired, putting my finger to my ear just to rub it in that much more.

                “Fuck off,” she told me, flicking my arm before continuing with her pouting.

                I turned to look at her, still smirking. “Turn that frown upside down,” I told her in a baby voice- one that I would use on the little girl I babysit.

                I didn’t think her parents would be too happy to know that the girl that babysits their daughter was currently being charged with breaking and entering plus indecent exposure. Hell, my parents weren’t going to be all rainbows and unicorns about it.

                “Screw you!” Caroline yelled at me as she swatted my fingers away as I tried to pinch her cheeks.

                I stopped acting like she was a baby as I started laughing, my head tilting back as the laughter bubbled through my body. All until I heard that damned voice.

                “Ariella Grace Monroe!” My head shot to the left at the shrill sound of my mother’s pissed off voice.

                She was making her way down the hallway, completely ignoring the front desk with the police officer calling for her to sign in or something. I had no idea what was going on, though; this was the first time I had been arrested. Of course, though, my mother was strutting her way down the corridor to where my best friend and I were sitting on a bench.

                This really was the highlight to top off a great summer. You know, sitting in a hallway at a police station and waiting on your mom to blow her brains out yelling at you is really something to look forward to. Not to mention you get to share the moment with a girl that’s practically your sister.

                When my mom felt she was close enough to yell at me, her face turned into the same look she always gave me when I was about to be scolded and her hand flew up to point at me. This was exactly how every scolding started. I had been through it many times.

                “What in the Sam Hill were you thinking?” she asked me, her face turning red just as I knew it would. “I didn’t raise you this way! You should know better! I have never promoted swimming bare, much less in a random person’s pool! Do you realize how embarrassing this is?”

                I had to bite the inside of my lip to keep from laughing. She was mad at me for being embarrassing? Like standing before me in a police station and yelling at me at the top of her lungs wasn’t embarrassing? And she should know by now that I rarely did things the way she raised me.