Chapter 56: What's going on?

Start from the beginning

"Did you find anything?" I ask him.

He shakes his head no. "Did you?"

"Nothing much. Just old pictures." I respond.

"They have to be here." He mutters in frustration. "There must be something we are missing. Henry said he'll be here."

"Have the others found anything yet?"

"Nothing." He sighs. "They say the buildings empty."

I sigh and slowly trudge along the corridor. My eyes scan the wooden floor underneath my steps. "There must be something we are missing," I say while tapping my chin with my index finger.

"Like what?"

"Like a hidden do--"

My sentence is cut off by a loud sound of metal hitting the back of my head, followed by an inevitable state of unconsciousness.

.................

"... she doesn't know a thing." A voice stirs me awake.

"Good." Another replies. "I always knew that I could trust you." The other voice continues.

Trust who?

What happened?

The only I remember is searching for clues with Tristan, before everything went dark as the night.

My eyelids feel too heavy to lift up, but I am nonetheless able to flutter them slightly open. A wave of dizziness washes over my head, causing me to tilt my head back to help reduce the feeling of fainting.

"Remember you promised not to hurt her." The first voice warns.

Hurt who?

I adjust my vision until I am able to fully examine the room I am in. In a brick-walled room is where I am. Red-brown bricks to be exact, plastered onto each other with huge chunks of unkempt, dried, dripped cement. A globe of light hangs above me, its dim light not offering any assistance to my vision. The tiles making up the floor are beginning to fade with age, creating a dusty layer of cement.

Then my eyes land on them.

Tristan and Luther.

"What's going on?" I manage to force out that question despite the lump in my throat.

"Awake so soon?" Luther's voice, filled with its usual malice, reaches my ears.

"Wh-what happened?" I ask them.

I try to adjust my seating position but a burning sensation cuts my wrists and ankles. I try to move again but the tight rope wrapping my wrists, around the metal armrest of my chair, and ankles around the chair's metal legs doesn't allow me.

"Don't bother trying to move, it's useless." Luther smirks at me with satisfaction. "Tell her, Tristan."

"Tristan?" I stare at him with an expectation of him to elaborate on the scene at hand. "What's going on?"

"Explain to your girlfriend, Tristan." Luther is enjoying every minute of this. "Explain to her how you betrayed her." He prods.

"Tristan, what is he talking about?" I prod with slowly, rising anger.

He remains silent.

"Answer me, damn it!" I yell.

"Woah," Luther remarks. "No need to yell."

"I'll yell if I want!" I retort.

He rolls his eyes. "Woman." He mutters. "Well," he claps his hands, "seeing as how Tristan here," he points at Tristan, "-has gone mute, I'll explain."

"No," I object. "I want my own boyfriend to explain." Calling him my boyfriend now makes me sick. I eye Tristan, waiting for him to utter a word or just do something."

After a minute of dead silence, he speaks.

"It was all a lie." He breathes out, fists clenched besides his body.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean everything was all a lie." He says. "This... relationship... us." He lifts his eyes to meet mine. "I never liked you in that way, Hailey." He deadpans.

No.

"I don't believe you." I shake my head. "He's only using you to get to me." I refer to Luther. "Don't let him use you like this!"

A deep chuckle erupts from Tristan's throat, taking me aback. He laughs so hard that any sense of remorse, I had hoped to see, vanishes.

"Y-you thought that I actually liked you, huh?" He asks incredulously.

I stare at him with pure shock. Betrayal, deceit, anger, hurt-- everything I had believed that Tristan would never be the cause of in my life.

Sure I never believed in a perfect relationship, but this is far beyond what I had expected. I mean, who would've thought that your own boyfriend could and would sell you to the devil incarnation himself.

"No one is using me," he steps closer towards the chair I'm tied to. "I make my own decisions." He steps really close to me now, and he rests his hands on the armrest of the metal chair.

"This is all a lie." I state, still refusing to believe him.

"Is it really?" He challenges, bringing his face so close to mine that our lips almost touch.
I guess I won't be kissing those lips anymore.

But if there's one thing I know, is that a person who lies struggles to maintain contact for more than two seconds. Or, they fidget too much. So I try to check whether Tristan is maintaining direct eye contact with me.

He does.

Is he fidgety?

Nope.

Is still lying?

I don't think so.

If my own brother threw me into the mouths of hungry wolves, then what stops Tristan from doing the same?

"Why?" My voice comes out in defeat.

"I want revenge."

.............

A/N: #2 in Teen fiction! Oh my word!!!! I'm so happy! And it's all thanks to you guys. Y'alls are amazing...

Chapter 56 is all done! Sorry for the cliffhanger though... nope I'm not sorry. Find out what happens next in the next chapter!

Thanks for the reads ( 974 000+ ) and votes ( 34 000+ )

Comment

Vote

Share

- bye!