Untitled Part 34

ELOI

Slowing down, I shifted back and watched as she ran passed me before eventually stopping herself. Turning back to face me, her tail whipped back and forth playfully. Taking a step towards me her eyes remained on mine, unyielding as she stalked forward. With her next step a loud sheering of metal cut through the silence of the night. Letting out a half howl of agony she shifted back, collapsing to the ground.

"Eloi!" Racing to her side, it was bear trap, piercing her leg, cutting deep to the bone. Prying it open she pulled her leg free. Wincing as she slowly tried to get to her feet, she cussed. "Why the hell is that here?" I had an idea, but I was more concerned with her safety. Picking her up in my arms, I raced back home.

"Darren, take a few others out to the east side, sweep the area for traps and get Will, tell him to meet us upstairs!" Nodding he quickly set to work. Taking her to our room, I sat her on the counter in the bathroom before bending down to better evaluate her leg.

"How do you feel? Nauseous, dizzy?" she shook her head. "You sure?" She insisted she felt fine, but I that trap wasn't there by accident, it was set by the hunters and more often than not they tainted them with poison.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Will arrived shortly, joining us in the bathroom I explained what had happened and he bent down, immediately getting to work. Watching her, she seemed okay. It was possible that bear trap was old, that the poison had been washed off by the rain, but I didn't want to take any chances. It wasn't like it would kill her, but it would delay her healing and be very painful. Handing her a towel to cover herself, I excused myself and went downstairs to wait for the others to report back.

FALLON

"How does that feel?" I didn't remember his name, I recognized him, seen him from time to time but we hadn't really hung out.

"Fine, really, barely feel it." It was true, it hurt when it happened and when the teeth of the trap were digging into my skin, but now, it felt like it was already healing. Standing up, he extended a hand as I lowered myself down from the counter and winced, it hurt putting pressure on it. Hobbling towards the closet I pulled on one of Eloi's shirts.

"Will, how is she?" Eloi had returned, taking me by the hand he helped me over to the bed and waited for Will to give him his assessment.

"I'm fine!" I insisted, getting aggravated by him ignoring me. Looking at Will for confirmation he nodded and he finally seemed to relax. Thanking Will, he left us and Eloi joined me on the bed. He was still upset but instead of talking about it, he pulled me close to him as if trying to keep me safe.

Waking up the next morning he wasn't in bed. My leg didn't hurt either, pushing down the covers, I removed the bandage and there was absolutely no indication that last night had even happened. Getting up, I pulled on a pair of pants before heading downstairs.

Following the trail of conflicting smells to Eloi's study I heard voices. Peaking in there were about eight of them gathered around his desk.

"Fallon." Upon entering Eloi met me at the door, shielding me from view. "Go back upstairs, I'll be done soon."

"What's he doing here?" Even with all these unknown visitors I could pick up on his scent. He didn't respond, he just told me to go back upstairs. I felt my temper flare, he was keeping something from me. "Is this about the other night?"

"Fallon, go."

"Let her stay Eloi, she has a right to." Eloi's jaw clenched at Donovan's words. Pushing passed him and into the room, I wasn't dressed to meet a bunch of new people, but I was interested in what Eloi was trying to keep hidden.

Donovan smiled at me as I entered and Eloi, pulling me close, introduced me to the others. Picking up were they left off, I tried to piece together what they were talking about. They were all supposed to survey their land for traps and more importantly, hunters. I knew Kyle had said his mom was killed by hunters, but I didn't think much about it until now. The meeting didn't last much longer and as Eloi escorted them out Donovan lingered behind.

"How's the leg?" he asked. Eager to put distance between us I told him it was fine before leaving the study and heading to the kitchen for breakfast. Hearing him behind me I sighed, annoyed and not in the mood for his games.

"Does this happen often, the hunters setting traps, killing?" Maybe I shouldn't have been engaging with him, but Eloi was still busy with the others and I was curious.

"Every once in a while, but the timing is curious." He knew he had peeked my interest and I bit, but he didn't get to answer. Returning from the front room Eloi called for him and they disappeared back into his study. Finishing my cereal, I headed upstairs to shower.