6. Attack Of The Frogs

(Marko's POV)

Pain. That's all I could of. There was human scent covering the air. The brothers who called themselves Vampire Slayers. They had come in during the day.

I think I was screaming. I don't remember. The stake had narrowly missed my heart.

I heard them before they staked me. I attempted to swing down so I could defend myself. If I hadn't moved they wouldn't have missed.

I was set on something. I couldn't tell because of the pain.

"Is he dying?" "I don't know." "We need to pull it out." "It might make it worse." The voices were jumbled, the words scrambled.

I couldn't tell who was saying what. "Just do something!" I had managed to get out with my teeth clenched.

I felt a hands on my chest. Then a stabbing feeling as the stake was pulled out from my chest. I lay panting on the ground. "Get the blood."

Everything seemed darker. I closed my eyes. For some reason everyone's staring was making me uncomfortable.

I heard a wine bottle being uncorked. The blood. I could smell it. I wanted it. Needed it. I wasn't sure how but it slid into my mouth and down my throat.

I pulled away and lay there. The pain was leaving but I was weak.

"He needs to feed." "I'll get a human."

I heard someone lift off. Eventually I was able to sit. The wound was closing too slowly. I was loosing blood.

"He's almost back Marko, don't worry." Bailey. She sounded worried.

David: I'm almost done. How is he?
Paul: I don't know. I think he's worse.
David: Marko, can you hear me?
Marko: Barley.
David: Don't excert yourself, try to stay calm. And alive.

Thanks for that David. Very useful information. I could totally use that.

I heard a faint growl and the connection broke off. I had forgotten David could read minds. Most of us still couldn't. It took skill and sometimes half a century to a full one.

David was suddenly there again. I could've sworn he just left. I heard a human pleas and cries for mercy. A young male. It had the faint blood scent of Michael. It was his brother.

I opened my eyes. It was getting harder to. The kid, Sam, was in David's grip. He would be joining Michael soon. But I was to weak to attack him. My heart was bleeding slower and more blood flowed. David pulled out a knife and made a cut on the kids shoulder.

Before he could scream he was kicked to me and I could feed. He was begging for mercy, only his shoulder was cut after all. I didn't spare him. He screamed for a few seconds and then he was dead.

My vision was stronger, the blood stopped pouring and the wound started to heal. "Thank you."

"Your welcome. We have a problem now. The Hunters know where we live. Where we sleep. Michael must've told them.

I tried standing but was pushed back down. I didn't fight it.

"They could've killed Marko. They need to be exterminated."

"Is it day or night."

"Day."

"David, how did you get the kid then?" "He was outside the entrance. The Hunters were already down the trail. He wasn't fast enough."

I looked at David's hand. It had several burns and blisters. "We should go back and sleep."

"What we need to do is head deeper into the tunnels."

"What about Marko?"

"I can walk." I snapped.

I was weaker but not so weak as to I couldn't head into the tunnels. The wound was nearly closed. After a few kills I'd be fine. They insisted to help me so I let them. There was no point in fighting them. It would only be worse for me.

David led us into one of the larger tunnels. It went down and it was colder then any part of the Hotel.

It led to a cramped cave. It would just have to do for now. After the Frog Brothers were dead we could live wherever, do whatever.

I still felt to weak to fly and hang upside down so I slept on the floor beside Bailey. She still wasn't comfortable with the usual sleeping position. Everyone was at first.

I closed my eyes and felt the pain again. I felt my chest. The wound was closed. No blood, not marks, no pain. I was scared. Would I live in fear of sleeping for the rest of my life? I leaned back and tried to sleep. But I couldn't. I stared up at my brother's.

I wondered if I'd be able to sleep up there.

David: Don't try it Marko.

Crap. David was still awake. I knew he wouldn't let me. I seemed to be like a younger brother to them.

David: You are.

I growled quietly. I rolled over. I was strange to sleep like this. I felt a throbbing where the stake impaled me. Phantom pain. That's all it had to be. All it could be. I just was worried about how often it would occur. I closed my eyes again and I was able to sleep.