Chapter 37-Edited

Start from the beginning

If he killed my mom just because she wasn't his mate, I will make sure that his death is very slow and very painful.

"I should have figured something like that would happen. My brother was always stealing everything away from me. I finally found a girl that I liked, so of course she had to be his mate. He didn't even deserve her, but she still accepted him. He had been whoring around his entire life, but she didn't even care about that. She just completely ignored that fact. I tried to warn her of the danger she was getting herself into by being with him, but she just brushed me off," he says with a bitter chuckle.

"After that moment, my life changed for the worse. I stopped caring about school, and what my parents wanted. I was tired of being the perfect one. It wasn't getting me anywhere in life so I decided to change. I started to do the things that I wanted to do. Things that I once hated my brother for doing became things that brought me comfort." A dark sinister smile appears on his face and his eyes glint dangerously.

"My parents were concerned about me, but there wasn't much that they could do. Everyone tried to reach out to me and help me, even my brother, but I obviously wasn't going to listen to him. Mary tried to talk to me and tell me that what I was doing was wrong too, but I brushed her off." He looks around the area with a smirk on his face.

"Don't worry though. This isn't some story where I say that after a while I realized that they were right so I changed my mind. It would be a pretty boring story if that was what I was going to say." No one reacts to his statement, just like he wanted.

"Instead of listening to them and seeking help, I let my anger and hurt fuel me. I trained more and more. I broke away from my family even more, and I started to make a family of my own. Once I had the support I needed, I decided to leave the pack. I also started to plan my revenge. I couldn't just let my brother have a happy life after all he had done to me." My fist clenches tightly and I have to stop myself from lunging forward and attacking him.

There is no doubt in my mind that he played a part in my mother's death.

"When I first came up with this plan I never knew how much of an impact a mate had on people. I started with the smaller packs where it was easier to attack. Slowly, I was able to build up my army.

"My men and I started to take out the Luna's of every pack we could get our hands on. Packs all around the world started to fear my pack and I without even knowing who we were or what we looked like. My men and I were able to take over those packs easily since apparently mates can't cope with losing their other half. I wouldn't know that feeling though since I rejected my mate." Patrick looks around the clearing and smiles when he sees the shocked and angry looks on some people's faces. I try to keep my face blank and expressionless, but my resolve is slipping with each moment that he continues to talk.

"I see some of you guys are remembering what happened to your packs Luna's. That was a good time for me. I finally had the power that I wanted and I was finally kind of happy. I had my army and I was becoming more and more powerful each day.

"That changed though when I found out that Mary and Max had a kid together. It was almost like they did that to mock me. A constant reminder of my bitter past." The look of pure hate that he sends me almost makes me take a step back. Some things are starting to make sense to me. I remember being so confused as to how or why my mom knew those guys. Obviously they were some of the people my uncle started to get involved with before he left the pack.

"I had to find a way to pay back my dear brother for everything he had done. I temporarily put the killings on hold and decided to get close to them and see what his weakness was. Of course the only weakness he had was his mate. Every day, I had to watch them be all loving with each other. It made me sick.

"Ryder, I remember when you were born. Your mom was so happy, and at first, your dad was happy too. After a while though, your mom started to pay more and more attention to you and less attention to your dad. It wasn't like she was ignoring him, it was just that she wasn't spending every waking moment with him, and that angered him. Did you know that your father tried to have you killed when you were only a few months old? He was going to drown you and then tell your mom some lie. I saved your life." He stares directly at me as he says all of this. I don't doubt what he said about my father trying to kill me. My dad never liked me and he never tried to hide that fact.

"It was then that I realized you were my ticket to happiness. Even from a young age, you showed power and strength way beyond your years. I realized that you would make a good soldier and a good ally. I wanted you on my side. I knew that after some time, you would be unstoppable. A new plan came to my mind. I didn't need to take out all the Luna's anymore. I just needed to make sure that you never met your mate. I didn't want to do to you what I had to do to your father. Unfortunately for me, you did meet your mate.

"It almost makes me feel like killing all those Luna's was a waste since the one I wanted gone was merely a baby," he says before looking down at my mate. After a few seconds he looks back up and stares directly at me.

"I remember that day very clearly. Mary was good friends with the Luna of the Crescent Falls pack. The Luna of the Crescent Falls pack came to visit Mary one day, and she had a small baby with her. It was almost like déjà vu for me since as soon as Ryder saw the baby he said mate." I frown as I process that information. I had met Elizabeth when she was just a baby? And I recognized her as my mate? Why don't I remember any of that? I remember a lot of details from my childhood, so I'm pretty sure I would have remembered meeting my mate.

"I'm sure you don't remember that though since I had a friend of mine wipe your memory as soon as she left. I also tried to have her killed, but somehow she lived and the Luna was killed instead." I see Zack's shaking form in the corner of my eye. I almost feel bad for him, but then I remembered all the pain that he caused my mate.

"My mission is finally complete though. It's taken many years, but I am finally victorious." My attention snaps back to the current situation and my brain starts putting all the pieces together.

He wasn't just going around killing Luna's so he could gain packs. His main reason for doing that was so he could feel like he was in control and that he had power.

Apparently when he saw me, he realized that I would be the answer to whatever it is that he wanted to accomplish. He was going to manipulate me. That's why he was so nice to me when I was growing up. He wanted me to repay his kindness by completing his sick plan. That all changed though when I met Elizabeth and now he thinks there's only one thing he can do.

He's going to try and kill Elizabeth.

I growl at the thought and I have to refrain from jumping forward. By the time I could get to them, he would have already stabbed her, and she would be on her way to dying.

He grabs her hair and tugs on it which causes another growl to escape from me.

"Do you have any last words before I kill you?" He asks mockingly. I look around him and try to think of a plan to save my mate. I can't think of anything though. If I try to do something, she will be dead in a few minutes.

I start panicking slightly while trying to think of something, anything that I can do. I see that my pack is having the same reaction. Some of them who are on the Patrick's side start sprinting forward, but I stay frozen in my spot with wide eyes.

In one swift motion, Patrick's arm slashes forward and I feel my heart stop beating.