Chapter 3: To Normal Or Not To Normal

Two weeks later, Aunt Liz had taken quite a liking to us. She registered as our guardian. Then, she registered us in school. She didn't believe it could be the government after us, and she needed the Caretaker Bonus if she was going to have enough money to feed us. Honestly, we were all too drained and depressed to care much.

But, how can we just go back? Like everything is normal? It was the least we could do though. Aunt Liz had taken us in without even knowing us that well. She had given us warm beds. Food. Clothes. Going to school was a small thing to ask by comparison.

I had always liked school. Damion hadn't. He'd been looking forward to the end of this year, when he would graduate from grade eleven into his Career Co-op. I didn't normally see him much during the day at school, but this morning still felt different as I put on my stiff, irritating uniform. We were in someone else's house. My and Damion's names weren't messily carved into the table. Only Ariana hogged the bathroom now. There were no parents to kiss me goodbye or make me wear a sweater. There was no strawberry jam for toast.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I could do this. I held back any trace of the tears that wanted desperately to emerge and pulled on some black socks. I hated socks. Damion and my dad had loved them. They'd even wore them to bed.

Stop it. You have to get ready. I flipped down the collar of my navy shirt, smoothed it out, and headed downstairs to get my bag ready.

Ariana sat at the table, eating a yogurt and a small meal bar. It was hardly breakfast, but I didn't say anything. I'd given up on that fight some time after she'd started living with us.

Xavier was already there, ready to leave. I grabbed my plain black lunch bag and went out to join him. I'd chosen the lunch bag because it reminded me of Damion's fondness for dark apparel. I didn't tell Aunt Liz that. My friends might have guessed, but they didn't say anything.

I reached over and took my new sneakers from the shelf. As per school rules, they were solid black, below the ankle, and completely flat on the ground. I tied the laces tightly since I probably wouldn't do it again. I had a habit of just shoving my feet into shoes. My mom and brother had been the same.

By the time I was done with the laces, Ariana still hadn't joined us in the foyer. She always took a long time to eat and get ready. It wasn't as if she needed all the makeup or styling. She had always been beautiful, but she never believed people when they told her. I blamed her parents, who'd been awful to her.

When her royal highness finally came to join us, the school-car was already honking. We rushed out of the house. I hastily swiped the keycard to lock the door behind us. The driver did not look happy. Ariana smiled sheepishly at Xavier and me as the silver door slid open.

The only seats left were at the back of the car. We awkwardly walked down the tiny aisle,forcing people to shift around so we could get through. Ariana and I took the seat together on the right. Xavier took the left, beside some guy who seemed to be sleeping.

"You suck," Xavier said to Ariana.

She stuck her tongue out at him. "Sorry, not sorry."

Each time the car turned, it took all my willpower not to fall into the aisle or smack into Ariana. I curled my foot around the leg of the seat to stop myself moving. Ariana didn't seem to mind smacking into me though.

It was a relief to finally exit the car ten minutes later. We headed with the herd of other teenagers into the building, but we split off from everyone else and headed towards the office to pick up our Drives with our timetables and coursework. It was not a welcoming office, with only a pristine white desk and a scowling man behind it.