29

Corbyn ↑

~Jaden~

I had my head down the entire day on Tuesday. I tried my best to be alone because I didn't know who I could trust at the moment. The pep rally was today, and while everyone was out on the football field to attend it, I lingered behind in the mostly empty school.

I headed to the library where I could sit down behind a bookcase and not get caught wandering the hallways. Thankfully, the librarian just ignored me as I went all the way to the back, sat down on the ground, and listened to music on my phone. I hadn't logged onto Instagram since yesterday because I was still getting teased online and in school.

I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes, but before I could even get the chance to relax, someone tapped on my shoulder. I looked up to see Kris sitting down next to me, a soft smile on his face.

My heart jumped in surprise as I paused my song and removed my earphones. "How'd you know where I was?"

"Followed."

I lightly chuckled. "Stalker."

"I was worried," he explained.

"Oh." I blushed. "You're a football player. Isn't it mandatory for you to be at the pep rally?"

He shrugged. "It's mandatory for pretty much everyone. You're more important."

We smiled at each other and I had to look away.

"Please tell me you're doing slightly better today."

I looked back at him, right into his eyes and nodded. "Slightly," I reassured.

"Your friend quit cheerleading."

My eyebrows hiked up in disbelief. Mae quit the team? Why on earth would she do that? "You can't be serious."

"Yeah. I saw her earlier; she said that Kari was right about her not earning it for herself. And she didn't want you to think it was all she cared about."

"But... she did earn it. She worked all summer for it. Hell, it's what she wanted since middle school. Corbyn took that away from her." I understood why she'd do it, but I didn't want to be part of the reason why. It was something she loved, and she shouldn't have to choose.

Kris glanced down at the ground, thinking over his words carefully before gazing at me again. "I know you probably don't believe me... or trust me... but what you told me in your room has stayed with me ever since. I didn't mention or even hint it to anyone else."

I put my hand over his and nodded. "I know. I'm sorry I accused you."

He shook his head. "I would've accused me too."

That made me laugh, but I quieted down when I remembered we were in the library. "Still, I should've given you more credit." He intertwined our fingers, facing me a little.

"I stand by what I said. Everything will work itself out, and it might take a long time but you'll see."

"Thanks, Kris."

"Will you be at rehearsals today? Mr. Price wasn't too keen on you missing yesterday but he completely understood why you chose not to show."

I sighed, shrugging my shoulders. "I guess I'll just have to brace myself."

"Don't let anyone intimidate you. Besides, I'm really looking forward to our kiss scene."

"Oh my goodness. That's tomorrow, isn't it?" My heart fluttered as I thought about kissing Kris on an actual stage in front of actual people.