Fifteen

Present Day

"Daddy, you never told us you were locked up before."

Shawn looked at his daughters and shook his head, "It's something I don't tell anyone. It took everything in me to get my record cleared so I could move on with my life."

Summer sighed, "And let me guess, mom helped you clear your record?"

Shawn slowly nodded. He felt like he owed Beyoncè his life. Without her, he didn't see himself being the person he is today. If he could, he would go back in time and be the one to have his life on the line instead of her. She didn't deserve to die the way she did and it still hurt him every time he thought about it.

"But how did Grandaddy find out about you though? How did y'all meet? Did he like you?" Skylar asked.

"Hell no," Shawn said with a laugh, "He hated my guts. Even offered me half a million to stay away from Beyoncé. I did need the money, but I wasn't going to let her go. I turned the money down and he hated my ass even more."

_______

1997

"Beyoncé Giselle Knowles," Mathew said through clenched teeth, "Where the hell are you and what the fuck are you doing taking out $5,000?"

Beyoncé stared off at the wall as she thought about what to say to her father. She wasn't expecting him to find out, but of course he did.

"I know you hear me fucking talking to you." He yelled through the phone, breaking her out of the trance she was in.

She didn't feel the need to lie anymore. She had been caught and it was no reason to lie. She was going to tell him the truth, even if she may get in big trouble.

"I'm sorry daddy.." she said almost to tears. Shawn looked at her as she ran back and forth to put her clothes back on. He could hear Mathew through the phone yelling at her.

"You better be home before I get there," Mathew said, "You have thirty fucking minutes. If you're not there, I'm packing your shit."

He ended the call, leaving Beyoncé with a tear stained face and half of her clothes on.

"Don't just stand there, where is my shoe?!" She yelled at Shawn. He shook his head and helped her get dressed. He didn't understand why she was so afraid of her father. She was basically grown now, yet her father was so strict on her for no reason.

"I have to go." She said, storming out of his room and to the living room to get Ty. When Ty realized what was going on, he wasted no time leaving out Shawn's apartment and to his car.

Mathew has always scared him for some odd reason and he didn't want to be caught in the middle of Beyoncé and her father's mess.

"Promise me something.." Shawn said, holding Beyoncé from leaving. With watered eyes, she stared at him.

"What is it?"

"Promise me you won't try to cover for me. Just tell him the truth and whatever happens, happens. Aight? I don't want to ruin your relationship with your father."

Beyoncé slowly shook her head, "My relationship with my dad been ruined, so it doesn't matter. I'll call you later."

Shawn watched her walk away and once she was out of eyesight, he sat down on the couch and sighed. He couldn't believe that he was in jail for a bullshit reason. He shook his head just thinking about that one night he stayed in the cell. He definitely wasn't built for that life and that only made him want to do better.