Ten

Present Day

Summer laid her head on Skylar's shoulder as they listened to their father talk. It was currently 10 PM and they all were emotionally drained, but they didn't want their father's story telling to end.

"Y'all sleepy?" Shawn asked. The girls quickly shook their heads, making him laugh at how in sync they were.

"No, I'm still listening," Skylar said, "I'm just stuck on the fact that mom didn't like the name Skylar at first."

They laughed and Skylar shook her head, "That's why me and her clashed so much. She didn't even like the name you came up with."

"Nah, y'all clashed so much because y'all acted just alike. Both of you act just like her, but at different periods."

"What you mean?" Summer asked.

Shawn smiled, "Well Summer, you basically act like your mother before she became pregnant with you two and Skylar acts like her after she gave birth to y'all, but both of you are definitely her. I love it."

They laughed seeing their father smiling wide. He seemed so happy talking about their mother and they loved it.

"So daddy tell us what happened with Mya and the baby?"

Shawn slowly nodded, "Okay. Well this is what happened."

__________________

June 1995

"It's hot as fuck." Brandon said out loud as he stood on the block with Shawn. They were doing their nightly routine — selling drugs.

Shawn was pretty much to himself since this would be his last time working the corner. He leave for college the next day and wouldn't have to worry about selling drugs again.

He has made more than enough money to last him for the next couple of weeks while in school.

"It's aight," Shawn said dryly, "I feel a lil' breeze."

Brandon looked at his old teammate, instantly feeling guilty and bad about what he was going to tell him.

"Are you ready to go to school?" Brandon asked. He had received no college offers so he had no plans, other than working a plant job and trying to make ends meet.

Shawn nodded, "Pretty much. I never thought I would be in this position. All of this college shit is new to me so yeah, I'm ready. Ready to make a name for myself."

"And what about yo' girl and Mya?"

"What about them?" Shawn asked with his eyebrows raised. He has discussed things with Mya and she was cool with him coming home whenever he could to spend time with their child. She wasn't the issue, it was Beyoncé.

He hated that he would have to be away from her and wouldn't be able to see her face everyday. Beyoncé know that he leaves tomorrow but she has tried her best to avoid the situation. She was going to miss him just as much.

Brandon sighed, "Before I even say anything else, Jay I gotta tell you something."

Shawn turned towards Brandon, stuffing his hands in his pocket. Brandon seemed nervous about something so Shawn couldn't wait to hear what he had to say. Him and Brandon weren't as close as they were when the season was in. Shawn considered him a friend, but not a close friend.

"So I guess she's been trying to hide this from you and I don't know how long she will continue to hide this from you."

"Wait," Shawn said, stopping him, "Who is she?"