Five

Present Day

"Damn dad, you was wrong for that.." Summer said shaking her head. She didn't understand why guys lied and did the dumbest shit. Knowing that he had broke her mother's heart made her a little upset but she had to realize that it was the past.

Shawn sighed, "Yeah, I know. It took me awhile to realize how dumb and foolish of a mistake that was. I was a fool to lose Beyoncé's trust. I thought for sure she wouldn't even talk to me again."

"So did you ever wish her a happy birthday?" Skylar asked.

Shawn nodded, "Yeah, I did but she never responded to my message. Even when we got back to school, she ignored the hell out of me. It was like I didn't even exist. So I left her alone and just did me. I was young then so it didn't take long for me to forget about her. Basketball season had started and me and my ex had broke up again, so once again, I was single. I was single for good too."

"What happened?"

"Me and Mya just didn't get along. She nagged me too much and me being so young, I didn't give a fuck so I left her alone for good."

Both Skylar and Summer laughed and shook their head. Their father had the mindset just like any regular young guy. They could only imagine how their mother felt about his nonchalant attitude back then.

"So did you even try to work things out with mom?" Summer asked.

"It's funny, because she reached out to me first," Shawn said with a smile, "It was my first basketball game...."

_________

November 1994

"Mama, I'm leaving." Shawn said to his mother who was still laying in bed. She smiled weakly at him.

"You look nice in your shirt and tie." She said to him.

Shawn chuckled and looked down at his attire. On game days, it was required of the players to dress business like. Shawn didn't have much so he made things work. He used one of his grandfather's old ties. He wasn't sure if he tied it right either, but as long as he looked nice, he didn't care.

"Thanks ma. You work tonight?"

Gloria nodded her head, "Yeah, so I won't make it to the game, but make me proud."

Shawn smacked his lips and nodded his head. His mother rarely made it to his games because she worked so much. She was a single mother trying to provide for her three children so Shawn understood. He just wished she was there to support him just like the rest of the mothers.

He said his goodbyes and waited outside for Shaunie. Together, they walked to school. Their mother didn't have a car and they didn't have the money to afford one, so Shawn and Shaunie just used their legs to get them from point A to point B.

The school wasn't far so they didn't do much walking, but Shawn still wished he didn't have to walk. Once they made it to the school, they went to the lunchroom for team breakfast. Every game day, the team ate breakfast together. Usually it was the only meal Shawn ate if he didn't have the money and most of the time, he didn't have the money.

The first period bell rang and he made his way to Advanced Physics. He groaned when he remembered that they had a test today and he didn't study for anything.

He walked into class and saw Beyoncé already sitting. It was weird to see her everyday, sit behind her everyday, and not even speak to one another. They haven't spoken since their argument that night.

"Alright class, today is test day so pull out one sheet of paper and a pencil."

Shawn rolled his eyes and pulled out the things he needed. The test was being passed out and when it was on his desk, he wasn't sure what the hell he was suppose to do. He didn't even attempt to take the test. He put his name on the paper and put his head on the desk.