Chapter 59: Brother Dearest

Start from the beginning

"Ah." I walked to the ledge that separated the back yard from another massive garden below, and Kaio followed. When I sat, swinging my legs over the ledge to face the garden, so did he.

"We are friends, are we not?"

I glanced at him and nodded. "Of course."

"And friends do on occasion, grant each other favors, yes?"

Again I nodded. "Yeah."

"Then will you do me the honor of granting me one small favor?"

"Anything." I said, and when his small smile turned wide, I modified the statement "Within reason."

Very well. Since your plans with Lord Riener has been interruption, and your day is now a blank slate, I wish for you to spend what time is left with Malik."

"No."

"You have already granted me this favor, and I am very certain that I have satisfied your one condition. Therefore, it must be done."

I snorted. "I didn't sign a damn contract Kaio."

He frowned. "Have you no honor? An agreement between friends, binding or not, should be upheld for the sanctity of the friendship."

"I'm the only friend you've ever had, how would you know how friendships work?"

"I do have a large helping of common sense."

"I don't trust your mate. I'm not about to spend the day with him."

"You are my very best friend therefore you must grant me this request."

I raised a brow in surprise. "Since when are we best friends?"

"I have decided that this is what you are to me. I have come to care for you as though you are family. Therefore, the title 'friend' will not suffice." Kaio's face turned tomato red as he cleared his throat and looked away.

"You're a child. Do you know that?" I asked as I shook my head,

"Does this mean you will not do me this favor?" When he looked back at me, I couldn't read his expression.

"My instincts are telling me to stay away from the guy."

"No, you have simply set your mind against him since the very start and you are far too stubborn to change your thinking."

I pressed two fingers to my temple and closed my eyes for a moment.

"Alright, I'll do it." I announced and Kaio beamed at me like a little kid at Christmas.

"He is still asleep. For whatever reason he has decided to wile away the day in bed today. So you must wake him and tell him of your plans. I shall of course accompany you both if you choose to walk about the coven... for protection."

He stood. "Where are you going?" I asked him.

"I must inform the drudges that I may be indisposed for the day." He said, but when he turned again to leave, my next words gave him pause.

"The last best friend I had betrayed me then ran off with his lover."

Kaio turned back to me; his expression serious. "I am not Noah, but in any event, you should not begrudge him this, for he is merely in love, and when one is in love, he should be allowed to follow his heart."

I watched him cross the yard and disappear through the back door of Rien's place. I sighed.

It took me another thirty minutes before I finally got up to go in search of the man who called himself my brother. When I pushed open the door to Kaio's room, I found him just as Kaio said; fast asleep in bed.