49~ How Long Can We Keep This?

"Here...is to success." Sebastian poured a shot of liquor into a plastic DIXIE cup.

"What was successful again?" I asked.

"Come on Reese, we're celebrating my acceptance to Julliard, I'm moving to New York." he replied.

"Okay but are we Russian? Why're we taking it straight?" I asked.

"Let's be Russian. Nostrovia!" I couldn't help but giggle. That meant cheers in Russian.

"Don't-don't ever say that again." I said, then we downed the shots. Ugh, that's strong.

"You don't drink straight." he said when he saw me gag and cough.

"And you do?" I asked.

"I'll admit it, I had some wild days way back when." he replied.

"When? Sixteen?"

"Sure, why not? Here's shot two." then he poured another shot into the dixie cup.

"Are you trying to get me drunk?" I asked.

"Hey, you're back in Lima, I think we should take advantage of it." he replied, then we downed another shot.

"Ugh, that stuff is nasty." I groaned.

"It's scotch, it's supposed to be." he replied. I blew a raspberry at him, that was the only comeback I had.

"You alright? You seem upset." he asked.

"I dunno, I just...you know after the whole Brody incident. I mean the only reason I found what he was, was because I'm so picky and I hate it when secrets are kept from me. Especially when it comes to the people I love." I said.

"Why is this concerning? I thought we solved the problem?" he asked.

"We are. This whole situation is solved, it's over, it's done with, just thinking about it makes me want to hurl into a toilet." I replied.

"Then what's wrong?"

"There are people out there, a lot like me, who have the same or more of a curiosity rate than I do. And it got me wondering...how long do you think we can keep this a secret? Because I feel like there is some-...thing that could blow our cover." I said. Sebastian put down the shot he was about to down.

"What happened?" it's like he knows me better than I do.

"Okay listen, I don't want you doing anything stupid that could jeopardize your school diploma or-or God forbid your Julliard letter-"

"Reese, don't stall. What...happened?" he asked again.

"At first it just started with finding me at the diner and talking, but then he tricked me into meeting him with empty threats, and then he stalked me and found my apartment in Buchwick, and then..."

"Kay stop, who is he?" he asked.

"Will you flip if I tell you?" I asked.

"Only if he makes me angry." well, he was going to find out some time, might as well start telling.

"Hunter." three seconds later, Sebastian shot up and knocked over his shot glass. Then he grabbed a throw pillow and threw it at the wall.

"Son of a bitch!"

"Okay, hey! Hey! You said you weren't going to flip. You're flipping!" I exclaimed and stood up.

"I am not flipping! I am just very, very angry!" he replied.

"You're throwing things, you're freaking out. You're freaking me out. Stop. Calm down." I took him by the shoulders so he could take a breath.

"God, I'm sorry. I don't mean to act this way but...but I..."

"You thought you could trust him because he befriended you and he brainwashed you. When instead, he practically ruined your reputation." I said.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"I'm a foster child, I have been lied to, manipulated, and humiliated over and over again. I know what it feels like to be betrayed by someone you thought you could trust." I replied.

"I am so, so sorry about this. I'll talk to him about this, I'll fix this." he said. I took his face in my hands, pressing his head against mine.

"I believe you, but I'm afraid because he's powerful, and he's got money, and people like that seem to always get what they want." I said.

"I'm not going to let that happen. I'm not going to let him come within fifty feet of you. You are the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm not going to let him thwart that. He's just jealous because he can't find somebody as spectacular as you. He can poke and prode all he wants, but all his money can't break the human heart." He said.

"Promise me...if you confront him...don't do anything stupid. Please." I begged. Sebastian pulled me into his chest and kissed my head, I could hear his heart beating rapidly. He was scared.

"I promise. I love your Reese."

"I love you too."

You know, if there's one thing I learned about bein in the system, it's that being pulled out of your normal environment is scary, but losing the ones you love is even scarier.