"I know I need to tell her. But this is all so new to me, I don't want to involve other people while I'm trying to get to know Riley—"

"Madison is obviously a huge part of your life too, Josh. She has just as equal a part in knowing about her as you do."

"I don't even know my daughter properly yet, Savannah. Please just let me spend more time with her first. You've had four years; I've had two days with her, it's not enough yet."

A sigh escaped my lips. Josh had always been like this, even when it came to wanting to be together back in high school, he would deny something and continue to deny it until he was already too late to the post. I brought the wine back up to my lips and sipped slowly.

I finally released the glass from my lips. "It's Riley's birthday next Wednesday."

He lifted his brows and seemed to relax his shoulders with the thankful change of conversation. "Any plans for it?"

"I've organised a small party at the park. I asked her about it and we were thinking an Alice in Wonderland themed party with just family and friends. You should come."

"Family?"

"My parents said they can't make it but they're going to FaceTime her on the day, and then Henry and Tom are coming into town next week for it." I felt bad in seeing that Josh was now knowledgeable to the fact that Henry and Tom knew all about Riley before he did. Guilt began to eat me apart the more I thought about it.

"They are?" Both our bodies relaxed with the fact that our conversation was easy again. "Do they know I'm Riley's—you know."

"They found out a couple years ago." I gauged Josh's reaction, only to see complete dejection in the fact that they knew about Riley's parental situation first, "Valentina and April were the only ones that knew about Riley when she was born, but it was selfish of me to keep it a secret from everyone, and especially from you for so long."

"Do your parents know that I'm her..?"

"They don't know that you're her father. Although I'm sure they suspect it, the timings line up exactly to the point that I'd be surprised if they didn't know it was you."

"How are they?—your parents, I mean."

"They're good, they remained friends since the divorce, even more so when Riley was born. She helped bring them together to be at least friendly together as grandparents."

"My mom is going to go crazy when she realises she has a granddaughter," Josh scratched the back of his neck with a laugh, "in a good way, in that she'll be the most annoying grandmother Riley wished she didn't have."

"Your mom was always so nice to me, I think she'll be happy about Riley."

"She will. And Beth will fall in love with her too, she's still completely hooked on the idea of the both of us getting back together again."

I almost choked up on the wine at the back of my throat as I leaned forwards and attempted a strained laugh to release it. "What?"

I could already tell that Josh regretted the words as soon as they left his lips. "You know what Beth was always like. She rooted for us more than I did."