Chapter 11

Savannah James

Savannah James

Keeping composure was not usually a feat I found difficult. Aside from the infrequent panic attacks that would find me when least expected, I was typically able to hold myself together until I was somewhere private.

At this moment, however, pressed up against the side of the Hunt industries building, I felt myself losing control.

This Josh was everything I could have imagined him to be like, which pained me more than I cared to admit.

He looked happier. As if I could even describe him as such when his familiar discontent was now being directed at me. It was as if all of his problems and concerns disappeared once I did too.

The most disconcerting fact was that I found him to be much more appealing in his older years. Despite being my age, he was matured into a man I could imagine women would fawn over. His beautiful fiancé was a testament to his own assets, blessing my eyes in a way that made me feel guilty just for looking.

Josh was already long gone once I regained any remaining strength to stand upright. He left me here alone once I finally told him to, which was a decision I was relatively surprised at. There was once a time when he would refuse to leave me, straying far from my words and refusing to accept that I wanted to be alone, which was always only partially true.

That was partially why there was minor elation when I felt Sierra's warm and comforting arms embrace me. I hadn't even realised tears had fallen until she used her thumb to gently wipe them away.

"I had no idea that he worked here." My voice was spilling out in between breaths. This wasn't like me to allow all pent up emotions from the last four years to tip over into this.

"How were you to know?" She held me at an arms length, "this was a shock to me just as much as it was to you."

"Wait—" I shook my head and peered across at Sierra, "is Lionel still up there on his own with Luke? He'll eat him alive." I attempted a laugh but it fell on deaf ears. I couldn't laugh even if I tried.

The thought of actual work suddenly flooded my mind, hating the fact that I'd become so distracted by Josh as to disregard the reason that we were here.

"It's fine, really," Sierra reassured, "Lionel was taking the lead from the beginning anyway, he's holding his own. And besides, I'd rather check in on you than ask some stuck up CEO about what his aspirations are for the future." She sent me a genuine smile before pulling me in for another hug. "I told Luke and Lionel that you'd forgotten to reschedule a meeting so don't worry about anything on that end. And I mentioned that you and Josh knew each other from school which was why he was so quick to chase after you." I smiled back in response.