Chapter 6

Riley's pouted lips and dejected features were usually just about enough for me to allow her to stay up a few minutes past her bedtime, but tonight was not one of those nights

Riley's pouted lips and dejected features were usually just about enough for me to allow her to stay up a few minutes past her bedtime, but tonight was not one of those nights. Especially with the conversation I was sure Sierra planned to be having with me.

I aided Riley with holding the toothbrush, ensuring that she actually brushed her teeth instead of just holding it in her mouth and running it around her tongue a few times. "You're getting better and better everyday," I squeezed her red cheeks and helped her off the bathroom counter.

She giggled and ran back through to the living room wearing the cutest pair of pink pyjamas and with her post-bath time hair plaited down her back with thanks to Sierra.

Valentina caught her in her arms and lifted her to perch comfortably against her hip. "How's my gorgeous girl?" April leaned over and tickled Riley beneath her chin, causing her to squirm and wriggle in Valentina's arms. Sierra attempted the same, all of them doting on the girl they'd grown to love so easily.

"Come on, Ry. Let's tuck you in to bed and get you ready for another busy day tomorrow." I prodded for their fawning to eventually die down which didn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

"Does she have to?" April complained and twisted an innocent red curl around her finger.

"Oh, my bad!" I pressed a hand to my chest, "I'd be delighted if you wanted to deal with a stroppy toddler tomorrow morning instead," I joked and lifted Riley into my arms from Valentina, "I can't wait to sleep in."

"You're no fun." Valentina stuck her tongue out at me, to which Riley copied with ease.

Out of all my friends, it had to just be Valentina that Riley looked up to the most. Any action or saying would be instantly replicated. And it wasn't always too fun when Riley would arrive home from play dates learning five different and imaginative ways to tell someone to 'go away'.

I faked a smile and flipped her off behind my back while I carried Riley over to her bedroom and delicately deposited her down onto her bed.

Fortunately, I had learnt pretty early on that Riley was gifted with the enjoyment of sleep. Horror stories would be told about a new ravenous sleep schedule that would ruin me for life with a child, but despite just early mornings that I was now used to, she usually slept rather well.

The only downside being her obvious separation anxiety from being anywhere away from me. A fact I wouldn't dare to admit was that I felt the same way about her. She was a mirror of myself in so many ways.

"Are you excited for another day at school tomorrow?" I combed back the small wisps of her hair and circled my thumb against her temple.