Chapter 3

Four Years Later

Four Years Later

The stage I was at in my life was slowly becoming a time when I missed having an actual alarm. It was the noise that sounded when I had set it to go off, not the persistent noise of one person in particular.

"Mommy!"

There would have usually been immense joy in my heart if the owner of said voice were not currently screaming and running hastily through my bedroom door to pounce down onto my bed. My eyes remained closed, hoping to somehow convince my conniving yet percipient child that I was still blissfully sleeping and not wanting to be woken up.

But it had never worked before, meaning that it wasn't about to work now.

"Good morning." I spoke with my eyes closed as she snuggled up beside me before growing distracted like usual and squirming out of my hold.

"Is it breakfast yet, mommy? I'm hungry!"

Her whining was followed by a resounding jump onto the sheets quilted over me and another torturous screech. "Riley!" She hushed as my voice finally rose and my eyes opened to her now guilty ones, "have we ever gotten what we wanted by making noises like that?" She shook her head with mimicked sadness.

"So?" Her small grin started to appear again.

"Please can I have some breakfast, mommy?"

"Since you asked so politely," I pressed a small kiss to her nose, ensuing a chorus of my favourite sound, being her contagious giggling, "of course you can. Go find your princess plate for the table, and mommy will be in to make you something special for your first day."

She continued her incessant giggling all the way from climbing down off the bed and through to running hastily past the bedroom door towards the kitchen.

My little three, soon to be four year old, was now what I would describe as the best thing that had ever happened to me. She was the second person I had truly fallen in love with in my life, and I would cherish every moment that I had with her with it just being the two of us together.

Therefore, I finally stretched out my ageing body and eventually pulled myself away from the sheets I had wrapped myself up in overnight. Despite being just twenty six years of age, I was beginning to finally settle into the fact that I was closer to my mid-life crisis years than to the years that I was still navigating the world and my life as a young and impressionable teenager.

"Mommy!"

I let out a deep and instinctive sigh as I made my way out of my bedroom and into the kitchen, situated in the open space of my small living room.