Chapter 14

Joshua Parker

Joshua Parker

"Enlighten me then."

Savannah James had most surely grown into a confident woman over the course of the years. It was evident in her features, how she held herself with conviction, how she scrutinised my every move and especially how she stood firm, undeviating from her stance on our current situation.

We were different people, that was for sure, but that fact was always the drive for anything we did or spoke about together. There were differences of opinions and knowledge, things we would crave to explore about each other in as simple as small talk over dinner.

But as jarring as it could sound, I no longer recognised the woman in front of me.

"I don't know where to start."

She raised her inquisitive eyebrows, prompting me to continue speaking before she were to add what she wanted, which was a given at this point.

I searched her features before speaking again. It was easier to look at her now that it was just the two of us alone, and that we were properly facing each other, giving in to our undivided attention. Like before, she was just as classically beautiful as I could remember, only that maturity had taken her tenfold, except not in the sense of ageing. She was more forthright, yet just as enigmatic with waves of contentment, which I could only imagine was with her life.

"I know it seemed like I just walked out on you," a scoff from her lips managed to bring my eyes back up to meet hers, "but I had my reasons. Work was getting on my back and I just didn't think I could juggle both at the same time."

"So you chose your job over the person you were spending your life with? Makes sense."

It was the version of the truth I wanted her to believe. As unrealistic as it was, I felt better in knowing that she thought it was the job. How I wished it was just the job.

"Savannah, I know nothing will possibly change what happened between us because it's happened now and there's nothing we can do. I just don't want this," I motioned between the both of us, "you hating me."

She finally looked down, having reached what I would assume to be the final tether of her sarcasm. "We haven't had anything to do with each other for four years, Josh. Nothing we can both say right now is going to change anything after. I still don't think I can be anything close to friends with you, it's not fair."

"Not fair on who?" I questioned and resisted the urge to lift her chin with my fingers, knowing that I lost that very right a long time ago.

"It's not fair on me, Josh." When she looked up again, I could spot the moisture in her eyes, threatening to fall if I spoke another word. "Like the fact that I'm finding out why you ended things now—four years later." She'd been holding this in, I could tell. "That you hurt me and you didn't care. And that you—"