Chapter Eighteen - Part Two

I watched as Cade's car turned into our driveway. I blinked as the engine cut and Cade stepped out of his car.

I didn't move. I was frozen in my spot halfway between my front porch and the open limo waiting for me.

I watched as Cade came towards me, his stride brisk and purposeful. He was dressed in a classic black tuxedo and he looked fantastic, so strong and handsome. I would have swooned at the sight of him if I hadn't been so shocked to see him. I blinked again, and he was standing before me, his hands taking hold of mine. I just stared up at him like he was a dream. Was he really standing here in front of me right now?

"Hi," he said.

"Hello," I whispered, swallowing nervously. Why was I so nervous all of a sudden? My heart was racing, and my insides were shaking.

"Sorry I'm late."

My brows furrowed together. "What are you doing here?" I hadn't expected him to show up. I realized, in that moment, that I had begun to give up on Cade over the few weeks that had followed after that kiss we'd shared on his front porch. And, even though I had hoped with all the hope I had that he would come, I hadn't really believed he would. I tipped my head down as I felt the rush of tears fill my eyes. I shook my head. This couldn't be real. Was this real? I'd wanted this so badly. Was I dreaming it?

I felt his fingers curl under my chin and lift my face to his. "Hey," he said softly. He leaned in and gently kissed me, pulling me into his arms. I felt myself melt against him. He pulled away and looked down at me. "You were right. I'm the biggest idiot." His eyes swept down the length of me and he smiled. "You look so beautiful, Rachel."

"Thank you, I whispered. "I didn't think you would come."

He gently took hold of my face in his hands, his eyes looking over every part of it. A tear slipped down my cheek and he wiped it away with his thumb. He sighed, pulling me closer. "I'm so sorry I put you through all that. I just didn't know the right thing to do. But I couldn't stay away from you. I'm yours, Rachel. I always have been, and I always will be."

I rested my head against his shoulder. I felt relieved and giddy to be back in his arms. It felt like home. It was the safest place for me. "I missed you so much."

He rested his forehead against mine. "I missed you like crazy. You and me, Rachel. You and me, forever," he promised.

I nodded and smiled. "Forever," I said back to him. And then he leaned down and kissed me again.

Cheers erupted from behind us and we turned to see all my friends gathered outside of the limo, clapping and yelling, big smiles on their faces. My mom rushed down to hug us, tears spilling down her cheeks. My dad followed and put his hand on Cade's shoulder, giving him a loving squeeze.

"Oh! I have something for you, Cade!" my mom said as she scampered away into the house.

Craig came over and hugged me before giving Cade an awkward side hug. "I'm glad you finally showed up," he said.

"Sorry about punching you in the eye," Cade said back.

"Nah, I deserved it." Craig said with a wave of his hand before his expression turned serious. "I'm sorry for not being there for you all these years. I didn't know what to do. I just wanted to protect my family."

Cade shook his head. "We were kids. Neither of us knew what to do. But maybe we can be friends again now."

"I'd like that," Cade with with a curt nod.

My mom came running back to us with a little box in her hands. "Here," she said, holding it out to Cade. He looked from her to the box before opening it. It was a bow tie in the exact color of my dress.