Chapter Thirteen

This was huge. Lara never said two words to my brother, even though I'd recently learned that she'd been in love with him since the day she moved in next door. I was all ears to hear about this new development.

"Oh really. What did you say?"

"I told him he was being a tool."

I laughed out loud at that. I really appreciated Lara. She was all kinds of awesome. "I bet that went over well."

"Oh yeah," she said with a laugh of her own. "He was pretty mad though."

I sobered at that. "Yeah, I know," I said with a nod. "He doesn't really have a right to be though. I don't even know what he's mad about. Maybe because I'm not doing what he wants me to do?"

"I think it's more than that. He really believes what he feels about Cade." I started to ask more about that, but she held up a hand to cut me off. "Before you ask, I don't know why he feels like he does. I never got that out of him. But he sure cares for you and wants to protect you."

"I know he does." I was quiet for a moment, lost in my own thoughts. "I wish I could understand where he's coming from though."

"Give him time. I think he's got something to tell you but maybe he's just not ready yet. Or maybe he can't quite articulate it yet?"

I stared at Lara with a quizzical look. "When did you get to be so smart?"

She shrugged with a grin. "It's just one of my many gifts."

We both laughed. "My brother must have been shocked that you actually spoke."

"Oh I know!" Lara said with a chuckle. "I used words and everything. He didn't know what hit him." We had talked about it so many times, her inability to talk to my brother. She always said it was because she didn't know what to say to him because she was so madly in love with him. In all the times we'd given Lara rides to school, she'd never said more than 'hello' to Craig. She was too nervous to speak. I loved to tease her about it and she took it well, but I know she'd been frustrated with herself.

"It must have felt amazing," I said knowingly.

She nodded, her eyes widening. "It was awesome! And I said a lot. I really stuck it to him." She paused for a moment, her eyes staring up at the sky. "I hope he's still talking to me. He was pretty mad when I left him."

"Oh, he'll be fine," I said with a wave of my hand. "I glad you were finally able to say something. Who knows where this will lead," I added with a wiggle of my eyebrows. She laughed and nodded.

"He was staring at me," she admitted quietly, watching my face for any signs of anything.

I wiggled an eyebrow at her. "Finally, he's noticed you. Took him long enough!"

"Do you think he did?"

"Oh yeah. You've changed a lot in the last year. I'm not the only one to notice it either. My parents were just saying how beautiful you are and how you've matured into a lovely young lady." I did my best to impersonate my mom's voice. Lara laughed.

"Well, I am sixteen now," she said in a mock haughty voice.

I smiled at her. "He'll come around, you'll see. He's an idiot if he doesn't."

We chatted for a little while longer about life and school and friends before we turned in for the night. I really liked Lara. She was a very down to earth kinda gal and she was always kind. She didn't gossip about anyone, which made me trust her even more because that meant she wouldn't gossip about me. She was good people. I was thankful to have her in my life.