Chapter Six

During our next French class, I decided to ask him. I'd just do it. I could do it. It was the 21st century. Girls could ask guys out. No problem. Besides, it was already Thursday and the dance was Friday. I was running out of time. Chicken or no chicken, I needed to ask him, if I was going to.

Until he walked into the classroom in all his gorgeous glory and sat down behind me.

I could hear him tapping his pencil on the desk as we waited for the teacher to give his ten-minute ramble of a lesson. I tried to think of the words to ask him but nothing good enough came to mind.

Instant panic filled me, and I knew I couldn't go through with it. I'd be mortified if he said no. I'd die right there in my seat...in French class. There was no worse way to go, was there?

Once the lesson was finished and we had free time to work on the homework, I decided to change tactics. Spinning in my seat to face him, I smiled. He smiled back, settling in for his tutoring time with me.

"So, did you hear about the Fall formal dance coming up next week?"

He ran a hand through his hair and messed it up even more than it had been. And he still looked perfect. I sat on my hands to keep myself from reaching out and running my fingers through it.

"Yeah, I heard about it." He scrunched his face in disdain. "Dances aren't really my thing."

"Oh," I said.

He looked up at me, searching my face. "Are you going?"

I shrugged. "Maybe. Joey Boon asked me to go with him. But I dunno..." I crinkled my face. I knew I was baiting him. Would he fall for it?

"Joey Boon?" he asked as if he didn't believe it. "So, you do like that guy?" I could hear the disapproval in his tone.

I shrugged a shoulder and made a face. "I dunno. Maybe?"

He chuckled. "You should go. It's right up your alley, isn't it?"

I looked at him in surprise. "Why do you say that?"

"Well, isn't that what you and your friends all do? Go to dances. Meet boys."

"Don't you ever do those things? I mean...to meet girls."

He snorted. "No." His arms rested on the length of the desk, his thumbs tapping out a beat on the edges of the wood. These desks were not made for a person of his size. He engulfed it.

"So you've never been to a dance?" I retorted, hardly believing it.

"Not really. I've been outside of a dance, but not actually in it. Like I said, it's not really my scene."

I nodded. I guessed it wasn't. He and his crowd didn't really fit the bill. And they'd probably hate the music anyway.

Cade leaned back in his chair and stretched his feet out around me so that my little legs were between his long legs. It couldn't be helped really. He was so tall. But I liked the feeling that came over me, being swallowed up by him. "You should go," he said seriously. Now who was baiting who?

Two could play that game. "With Joey Boon?" I asked.

He shrugged, looking around the room. It looked like a lame attempt to be nonchalant about it all. "Sure, why not," he said. But I saw the muscle in his jaw twitch...twice. Interesting. Good. He didn't like the idea at all.

I could play it cool too. "Maybe I will. He's a nice guy. Cute too," I wriggled my brows and grinned. But he didn't grin back. And I secretly revelled in that.

"If you like that kinda guy," he muttered under his breath.

"Maybe I do like that kinda guy," I retorted smugly.