"It would be good for my team to see what kind of problems the Avengers face," Scott said. "This isn't just about wanting to show the Avengers what the X-Men deal with. I'll be honest: there are times talking to Kate or her friends that I just haven't heard of some of the people or problems she's talking about."

"So how would this 'exchange program' work?" Steve asked, seeming to take the lead as he looked honestly engaged by the idea and leaned forward.

"That's what I came to talk to you about," Scott admitted. "I don't want to ask for more permanent positions or assignments; a few days or a week would be fine to get a feel for each other's teams, and we could involve more people that way instead of relying on one or two people to carry the interests of their respective teams to the other all the time."

"We'll start with a few days at a time," Steve suggested. "And we'll go in pairs." He smirked the slightest bit as he added, "No one likes to be the odd man out."

Scott had to smirk and nod at that before he slid forward a roster for the X-Men. "This is everyone on the team right now," he said. "I'm not going to invite myself or my team into your home. This is your call."

"That's it?" Tony said, his voice metallic inside the suit as he shook his head. "We just pick some names, you pick some names, and we start singing 'Kumbaya' with each other?"

"Well, I'm not expecting singing in the first week," Scott said with a barely-concealed smirk and was surprised to find that Thor was chuckling quietly. He glanced toward the broad Asgardian, raised an eyebrow, and added, "You can choose the Avengers to send, and we can work out a schedule with the fuller rosters after we've had a few trial runs."

"Why the generosity?" Carol asked in a clearly suspicious tone.

"It was my idea," Scott said simply. "I'm not here to make demands."

"Then ... really. Where is this coming from?"

"I told you," Scott said, keeping his tone even. "I'm just trying to find a way for our teams to understand each other a little better. I think we could all benefit from it."

"Xavier always tried to get humans and mutants to coexist, but he didn't really do much of that in action — just ideals," Steve said. "I'm guessing this is your social experiment to see if it actually will hold water."

"You could call it that," Scott allowed. He took in a deep breath. "I'm just trying to live up to what we've been saying all along."

"Like you said," Steve replied, watching Scott carefully. "We've had mutants on the team for years. It kind of seems like you're testing your people — if this isn't some ..."

"If anyone on your team feels like they aren't being treated well by my team, I promise I'll address and fix it the moment it's brought to my attention," Scott said. "I don't think you'll have anything to worry about, but if that's your concern, I can tell you everyone at that mansion honestly believes in the vision that Professor Xavier had for peaceful coexistence." He shook his head minutely. "It's not a test. It's... an olive branch." He paused. "We've had non-mutants on our team for years, but they've been aliens or non-humans. It's time we start living up to our creed when it comes to humanity and the way we treat you."

The gathered Avengers seemed to share a glance that held an entire conversation as they considered it, and while it was impossible to read Iron Man, it seemed Thor, at least, was entertained by the idea if the grin was anything to go by.

"I'm not expecting an answer today," Scott clarified. "Take your time. But we'll never be able to even start to find a middle ground if I don't ask."