prologue

***

***

What does it mean to be human?

All people are nothing but tools.

I was a tool.

I was a...

The private academy teacher Byun Baekhyun put down the papers that he was grading and massaged his temples. The faint light on his desk was making his eyes hurt and giving him a headache. It was already long past midnight and he completely forgot about the time, but now he noticed that his coffee cup was empty and the exhaustion was slowly taking over his body. He put his pen down, loudly yawned and wiped his glasses.

What dreams should he program for himself that night?

The rain was softly falling outside his window and the stack of high school papers suddenly dropped from his hands and flew everywhere. He was in awe, completely stunned by the sight outside his house. His hand touched the glass and his eyes slowly grew wide in shock. He passed the window without thinking too much, but he couldn't miss it, someone was standing in the middle of his garden.

He stood there completely frozen and stared at the young girl. Her arms were stretched out and her head was slightly tilted back. Her soaking wet white hair was falling down her back and she was as immobile as the teacher was. At first glance, it seemed like she was trying to catch the raindrops on her palms.

The rain reminded her of a feeling. She didn't know what it was or how it would be called, but she didn't mind. Feelings were a very interesting, but estranged and foreign concept to her.

The rain made him feel certain emotions too.

The girl slowly turned her head and locked eyes with Byun Baekhyun.

Two colours...

Was that really a human?

How could that really be a human when that girl died three weeks ago?

She was laying on the grass when Baekhyun stepped out of his house. He was holding an umbrella in his hands and his heart was racing in his chest. The girl opened her eyes when she felt something cover her from the rain and he gasped once again. She showed no reaction and continued staring at the unknown man with a completely emotionless look on her face.

Her gaze was perhaps what shocked Baekhyun the most of all. '' W-Who are you? ''

He took a step back when she suddenly rolled herself on her stomach and started picking herself up from the ground. He didn't want to show weakness in front of some stranger that intruded his backyard, but he couldn't help himself. The white haired girl continued staring at him with her completely void two coloured eyes and he instinctively raised his hands in defence. His breath got caught in his throat and he froze on the spot when he felt something touch him.

Her small hand wrapped around his pinky finger and the sound of her quiet whisper made him drop his umbrella.

'' New file, code BBH. ''

The rain was falling on them and Baekhyun found himself at a loss of words. He was opening and closing his mouth and trying to think of what to do or what to say, while the girl already let go of him again. She turned away like nothing happened, tilted her head back and let the raindrops fall on her pale cheeks. He eventually managed to snap out of his shock, pick up his umbrella again and raised it over her. She slowly turned her head towards him and stared at him with a blank expression on his face. '' Are you lost? ''

'' Lost... '' she quietly murmured and blinked. Baekhyun couldn't stop himself from staring at her eyes. It was strange, because one was brown, one was yellow and they somehow looked like they belonged to two different people. '' What does that mean? ''

Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed together with confusion. '' Don't you have a home? ''

'' What is a home? '' she whispered and her head lightly tilted to the side.

Baekhyun had to ask himself if he was dreaming, but he wasn't. This girl was standing in front of him and she looked exactly like the student that died ago, but at the same time she didn't. She looked like something, trying to pretend to be a human. Something that was lost and without a home.

Baekhyun wasn't generally the most empathetic person and he didn't particularly like teenagers, even if he worked at a private academy himself, but he couldn't turn his back on the girl. Instead he took off his jacket and put it on her shoulders and started walking. He thought that she was going to follow him, but when he glanced over his shoulder, she was standing at the exact same place and looking at the article of clothing that was draped over her soaking wet figure. '' Are you coming or do you want to stay in the rain? ''

She looked towards him and the sound of her faint voice made Baekhyun shiver and start walking again: '' Data processing... Program installation at 9%... No commands inserted... ''

He was about to close the house door again when he saw her shadow. '' Don't forget to take off your... nevermind. ''

His gaze stopped at her bare feet that were muddy and bloodied and he let out a sigh. He walked inside his house and the unusual white haired girl slowly trailed after him. Her steps were quiet and every now and then he could hear the drops of water that were falling down from her. She didn't even seem to notice the muddy and red footsteps that she was leaving behind and she continued walking after Baekhyun. When he stopped, she bumped right in to his back and slowly looked up towards him. Their gazes met once again, her two coloured eyes glistened in the moonlight, so empty of any kind of emotion that the young teacher could almost see his reflection in them. 

Who... No, what was this girl?

'' Program installation at 18%. '' 

19%.

20%.

21%.

28%.

33%...

***