nine

" Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one? "

- Juuzou Suzuya

***

'' Pino is nothing more than just a couple of lonely braincells. ''

Chanyeol's words were like an endless melody, repeating in my head and trying to reach a part of my heart that wasn't functioning the way it should. It wasn't that it made me sad or anything like that. I already knew the truth myself, I was just confused because there was something inside me longing for more, longing to be more.

The sun was shining on the clear blue sky and tree branches were rustling in the wind. I was laying on my back and watching the sunlight shine through the green leaves until something caught my attention. It was the sound of pained chirping and it made me slowly sit up on the grass and look around.

Baekhyun couldn't really see what I was doing at first. It was in the middle of the main school break and for once, I decided to go outside, instead of stopping by his office room. He thought that he would be happy to have some peace, but he found himself getting bored, looking out the window and listening carefully, to try and catch the sound of my voice. In the end he gave up on his work and left to go take a walk in the school gardens. That was when he saw me, squatted on the ground and turning my back to him. He was confused in the beginning, then the sound of the pained bird chirping made his blood run cold. He immediately thought of the worst case scenario.

'' Pino, no! Don't kill- '' Baekhyun screamed with fear, rushed closer and put his hand on my shoulder. That was when he saw what was actually going on and stopped in the middle of his sentence, while I slowly turned around and looked up towards him. I was still holding the squirming and chirping bird in my hand and I was in the middle of tying and impromptu bandage around it's broken leg. '' D-Don't kill the bird... ''

I stared at him with no emotion. '' Sensei, I don't think I'm doing this right. ''

The bird opened it's beak and buried it in the skin on my palm. Blood began to trail down from the bite wound and the teacher's features twisted in to a cringe. '' Pino! The bird is clearly terrified, because it's hurt and you are holding it like you are planning to kill it! You have to be more gentle! ''

He put his hands over mine and my grip became a little less strong. I felt his warm touch on my skin and I almost forgot what I was doing. Then I quickly finished tying the bandage around the bird's leg. The animal opened it's wings and flew up towards the sky and Baekhyun tilted his head back to watch it disappear somewhere above the roof of the school building. I slowly raised my hand and observed it with a thoughtful expression on my face. I could still feel the warmth of his touch lingering on my skin.

'' It's easier to be compassionate when it comes to animals. Animals cry when they are sad or in pain and wag their tails when they're happy. It's as simple as that. But not humans. Humans sometimes try to act like they are not hurt. Sometimes they even pretend that they are happy when they aren't, '' I seriously murmured, turned towards the teacher and slowly reached out with my hand towards him. Then I placed my hand on his cheek and he held his breath with surprise. I continued looking at him and my eyes slightly widened in realisation. '' So that really was it. You are the one that is making my system slow down and function with more difficulty. ''