"Beautiful"

“Gerard!” A voice was shouting after me as I walked down main street towards Credence. “Hey, Gerard!” I turned around to see Legend weaving through the crowd of emotionless walkers as he rushed to get to me. He had a look of urgency in his eyes by the time he finally caught up to me.

“Hi Legend.”

“Gerard. Let’s pick up where we left off yesterday.” He looked at me as if I was supposed to know what he was talking about.

“What?”

“The colors? Frank? Is any of this ringing a bell?”

After thinking for a moment I remembered exactly what we had been talking about the day before. He had asked me if Frank and I were dating and if I was seeing “colors.” I nodded and waited for him to continue.

“So…? Are you seeing the colors?”

“I still don’t understand what the colors are, Legend,” I said, shaking my head.

“Okay… Ever since you started talking to Frank, has anything changed? Not in your life, I mean. More like in what you see… you know… with your eyes.” Legend had a look of pure seriousness in his eyes and I had to answer truthfully. I had to tell him about the change that I couldn’t explain. The only problem was… I can’t explain it.

“Well… I don’t know how to say this or how I’m supposed to make you understand this,mostly because I don’t understand this. But there’s been a change. I saw it in Frank’s eyes. I don’t know exactly what it was. All I know is that it was something with the tints and shades of his eyes. I don’t know how to describe it, though.” I replayed the image of the first time I saw the change in my head. “The only way I can describe it is with one word… beautiful.”

Legend looked at me thoughtfully. He seemed to be contemplating what I had just said to him. I saw him mouth the word “Beautiful” as he looked up at the sky.

After a moment of quiet between me and Legend had passed by, I remembered the bruise. Maybe Legend knew something?

“So… I got this um… bruise. I mean… more like I found this bruise. I have absolutely no clue as to how I got it. and-” I was interrupted by Legend.

“Bruises,” he whispered, looking at his arm. Sure enough there was a blotch of dark shaded skin near his elbow. I watched his eyes widen before he looked down at his wrist where he seemed to have written words in pen. “I have to go,” he said before sprinting away in a flash of confusion.