30. Brewing Storm

Start from the beginning

”Wait!” He paused and twisted around to look back at me. “You look familiar” I rubbed my fingers up and down my jaw, thinking.

“The University affiliated me recently to your research facility; you must have seen me working there.” He smiled pleasantly. Ah that must be it. “I adore your work doctor; it was such a rare opportunity to work with you.” He bowed again.

“Yeah” I bowed awkwardly, I always feel awkward when people praise me blatantly.

“I’m Dr. Park.” He bowed again.

“Guess I’ll see you at the researched facility, Dr. Park. Thank you for bringing me this.” I waved at the file he left on my desk. He smiled and slipped out closing the door behind him.

Can I pick you up from the airport on Wednesday? Will you be able to dodge the press, fans and your team?

I texted Yo, once I was back in the surgeon’s rest room.

Yo – I’ll think of something. Can we drive away somewhere after that? I’m sick of all the trouble around here.

Me too. I have rest of the week free since I’m on double night shifts, unless something urgent comes up. But where can we go?

Yo - Don’t over work P’Pha. Take care of your health. Don’t worry about the place. P’Mew has a Condo up in the North. He said he would lend it to us. Shall we drive?

Can’t wait. Now take a rest. What are you doing up so late. Good night baby. I love you.

Yo – Love you too P’Pha.

I’m badly in need of a break right now.

“Mom?” I trapped the phone between the crook of my shoulder and ear

“Mom?” I trapped the phone between the crook of my shoulder and ear. The morning rush of the hospital cafeteria hasn’t begun yet. I paid for the lady at the counter and carried my coffee and sandwich to a small square table placed in a corner. My eyes burned from lack of proper sleep. I’ve only had couple of hours of shut eye last night.

“Son?” her voice sounded far away coming through the telephone line.

“Did I wake you up?” I put the sandwich aside and sipped on the coffee. It tasted horrible and it took me back to that very first day Yo made coffee for me.

“I was awake. You know I wake up at five in the morning.” She sighed.

“You don’t have to wake up that early anymore, mom. We have all grown up. You can sleep late now.” I said with a smile.

“Yes, you all have grown up but I still couldn’t break out of this habit of waking up early.” I can feel that she’s smiling too. “Why are you doing too many night shifts, Phana?” She suddenly asked, bit sternly. I laughed.

“Mom, I’m a doctor. I don’t have the same time schedule like any other professional. I’m on call. Lives depend up on us.” I chided her. It’s so nice to talk to her like this.

“Don’t over work.” She warned. “Phana?” Her voice changed. I braced myself. ‘When are you coming home?” She asked in a low trembling voice.

“Did he change his mind”? I pursed my lips. My dad ordered me to apologize to Pring and her family and to re-enact the engagement. But I refused to relent. And he banned me from the house. Mom was silent and I can guess what the answer is. “I miss you mom.” I whispered sighing in to my cooling coffee.

“I miss you too, son.” She sniffed softly. “I hope everything will be alright soon. I can’t bear to see this rift between you two.” She sounded a little broken, hurt.

“I hope so too mom.” I saw someone waving at me from the loose line of hospital staff forming in front of the cash register. It’s the over enthusiastic Dr. Park. I waved back awkwardly. It’s not my style to wave at buddies in the hospital cafeteria. I have few close friends, and that’s it. “I gotta go now mom, take care.” I ended the call quickly so that I can finish my sandwich and head back to my office.

No such luck

No such luck. Dr. Park is bee lining at me with a big grin plastered over his face. I bet he has a lot to discuss regarding my research paper, I thought gloomily. Now that he has lost his lab coat he looked young, maybe even younger than me.

“Dr. Phana, good morning!” He grinned cheerfully. Who could be this hyper at six in the morning? I nodded and mumbled a greeting back. Just as I predicted, he started jabbering on about the research, blinking enthusiastically and sometimes stopping to take a bite of his oat meal.

“So as I proved in my previously…..” he waved his arms wider in an arch, knocking my untouched coffee cup and propelling it over my leg. I stared for a moment at the dark liquid spread across my thigh and knee, staining my pressed linen trouser. “Oh my god, oh my god.” Before I could do anything, Dr. Park jumped into action, started to wipe my led with a handful of tissues he grabbed from the next table. “I’m extremely sorry. Did it burn your leg?” He asked looking at me with wide eyes, his hands still working in my leg.

“It wasn’t hot.” I took the tissues from his hand and stood up. “I’ll go to the washroom and clean this up.” I mumbled, trying to wipe away the stain.

“I’m so sorry.” He said again when I was walking away in irritation. “I’ll look after your stuff, don’t worry.” He called after me.

How did this clumsy idiot become a researcher?