Chapter 9 | Flying Lessons

Start from the beginning

Seeing as she had swept past Eileen without another word back in the dormitory, Euphemia found herself walking to breakfast by herself, not that it was a problem.

She roughly knew her way around, all she had to do was follow the greenly lit corridor that wound round several corners and up a few flights of steps and she would be in the Entrance Hall. Simple, right?

Mia only got lost a few times, having taken the wrong turn once and ended up outside the Slytherin Prefects bathroom and the other time she took the wrong flight of stairs and somehow found herself outside Professor Slughorn's office, whereupon she was directed by the young man himself to the Entrance Hall.

Horace Slughorn was a rather young, plump and eager professor that taught Potions and had taken a liking to little Euphemia, probably due to the fact that her family was rolling in money and her father was an important Ministry official.

Slughorn had only been at Hogwarts as a Professor for a few years, apparently since the year before Druella came to the school.

By the time Mia had actually gotten to the Great Hall, breakfast was nearly over due to the fact that Slughorn hadn't shut up blabbering on to her about some stupid Slug Club thing, whatever it was - Euphemia didn't care. 

She barely had time to gulp down some cereal before the hall started clearing and she had to rush off to her first lesson, cursing Slughorn mentally all the way.

Flying lessons actually happened to be first which only made the hastily eaten cereal in Mia's stomach churn uncomfortably as she was extremely nervous for the lesson.

What if she made a fool of herself? That would give Charlus another excuse to not like her, as well as her surname. Not that she cared whether Charlus liked her or not.

"Mia! Hey!" Minnie yelled from where the gang of girls were stood on the front lawn, the lot of them crowded about waiting for Madam Yaxley, the Quidditch professor and referee.

Euphemia looked around to see if Walburga was there yet and let out a sigh of relief when she noticed that she was not. It was safe to run over to Minerva with a grin on her face.

None of the boys were there yet either, only the group of girls that were staying in Minnie's dormitory, Eugenia included.

Not paying any heed to the others who were stood about chatting idly, Mia turned to Eugenia and Minerva with a warm smile.

"Looking forward to today?" she asked politely, her instinct of making well mannered conversation coming out.

Eugenia smiled back, sitting herself down on the grass with a flounce of her long blonde hair that Euphemia was exceedingly jealous of.

Checking the lawn was dry before she also sat down, Mia turned to listen to what Minerva was saying to the two of them eagerly.

"...never flown before but I can't wait to learn!" Minnie finished and Eugenia raised an eyebrow, looking quite amused.

"I still can't believe you haven't flown before, I used to fly all the time at home. Daddy used to always let me use his broom, which is a very good model by the way," she added with a smug smile which only made Mia laugh a little to herself.

She was actually starting to think the flying lessons wouldn't be so bad after all when she saw Walburga, Heather and Mary approaching and leapt up faster than you could say Quidditch.

Brushing the grass off her skirt, she quickly apologised to Minnie and Eugenia and scurried to stand over where the rest of the Slytherins were.

Eileen gave her a disbelieving look when Mia came to come and stand with her, "Really? Now you decide to acknowledge me?" she asked, sounding slightly hurt which made Euphemia feel uncomfortable.