29. Something Else

"Ah! Come on!" I tossed the controller over to Roland, glowering at his gigantic flat screen TV.

He scooped up the controller with a bemused expression. "Boy, you're really bad a first person shooters."

"That guy came out of nowhere!" The frustration was evident in my voice. So far I managed to die thirty-six times during this match. My kill count was at a measly four. We had been playing this game for three weeks, and I had yet to improve.

"Here, let me show you how it's done." 

Roland turned his attention towards the TV. His posture was relaxed as he easily took down several opponents. When Roland was gaming, he was dead to the world. I pondered why he enjoyed this video game so much. When the match was over, Roland turned off the console and invited me to the kitchen. He pulled a couple store bought sandwiches from the refrigerator and brought them to the table. 

We sat quietly for a few moments as we ate. Roland was the first to break the comfortable silence. "Can I ask you something?" Roland leaned towards me. 

Somehow the quiet sounds of the TV faded away. Something about his voice held my full attention. "Uh, yeah. Sure." I looked up to see his eyes locked on mine. 

"Why don't you like being called Sylvia?"

I flinched when my name left his lips. Roland made a habit of not poking around my past. He understood how painful it was. Asking something this direct in nature caught me off guard. I took another small bite of my sandwich, buying some time. I looked at my plate as I attempted to reorganize my scattered thoughts. 

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just curious."

"No, it's okay. I know so much about you, yet you know practically nothing about me." I took a long sip of lemonade. I bit my lip nervously and turned my gaze out the window, towards the street and away from Roland's lavish flat. I let my eyes wander as I spoke. "When I was thirteen, I was in an accident. I can't remember everything that happened. One moment we were driving along the road... and then we weren't." 

I took another bite of my sandwich, chewing slowly to bide my time. I refused to meet Roland's eyes, but I know he was watching me closely. "I survived, but my parents didn't make it." I took a deep breath and crossed my arms. "Even though I lived, I've always felt like I died that day too. I wasn't... I'm not Sylvia. Not anymore." I blinked away tears. Roland reached for me but I pulled away, slinking further back into my chair. "I don't like being called Sylvia because it feels like a lie. Sylvia was a happy girl who loved horses and softball. Me? Well, I'm something else entirely." 

There was a long stretch of silence. Roland moved around the table and took the empty chair next to mine. I felt one warm arm wrap around my shoulders. I leaned my head against his shoulder. I managed to keep from crying, but the hollow ache in my chest made it impossible to speak. I turned towards Roland and buried my head in his chest. He wrapped both arms around me in response. 

"My mother died too." Roland's voice was quiet. "Car accident. She fell asleep at the wheel. I was only two years old. I can't remember her, but I wish I did."

"Remembering hurts too much."

Roland sighed. "Yeah, I suppose so."

We stayed intertwined for some time. I turned my attention to slowing my breathing. When I felt more in control, I began to savor the scent of Roland's cologne. It was intoxicating. He smelled like pine wood and cinnamon. I wrapped my arms around his waist and he pulled me closer. I pressed one ear against his chest, hearing the steady rhythm of his heart. Being so close to him was strange and weirdly wonderful. I'm not sure how long we stayed like that, but eventually I pulled away. 

What are you doing?

"I-I'm sorry." I tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. 

"No, I should be sorry. I shouldn't have asked you that." His blue eyes were twin pools of emotion. He was the friend I needed, although I'm not entirely sure if I deserved him.

I flashed Roland a small, closed lip smile. "It's okay. Sometimes it feels good to talk about it."

"V, can I ask something else?" He looked at me with a hopeful expression.

"Hm?" 

Roland ran a nervous hand through his hair. "I have this.. This thing next week. And I was wondering if you'd come with me."

"A thing?"

Roland's nervous. Why is he so nervous?

He fidgeted before meeting my eyes again. "It's a charity gala my dad throws every year." 

"I don't know, Roland. I've never been to anything like that. I'll stick out like a sore thumb."

"You won't. It's just a bunch of arrogant rich people who dress up and pretend to care about a worthy cause. Nothing too scary."

I raised my eyebrows. "Sounds terrifying." I paused, enjoying the way Roland squirmed. "I don't know. Last time I agreed to something I ended up getting chewed up by your step mom. Besides, what if she remembers me?" 

Roland snorted. "She won't. She only remembers people who are dressed in designer clothes."

"So, what does one wear to a fancy gala? Because I'm betting nothing in my closet will cut it."

"It's a formal event."

"Ew." 

He smiled sympathetically. "I know. There's dinner, speeches, and an auction. The whole thing is pretty lame."

"Sounds like it." 

"But..." Roland looked at me hopefully. "It wouldn't be so lame if you were there."

I tried to ignore the slight flutter in my chest. "I won't know which fork to use."

"That doesn't matter to me."

"I don't own any formal wear."

"I'll buy you a dress."

I blushed slightly and looked away. "Roland, I'm not going to take your money. I'm not that kind of girl."

He smiled at me. "I know. Which is why it'll be a gift."

I shook my head. 

Before I could retort Roland spoke again. "You once said I owed you big time. Well I'd like to repay the favor."

"I don't know..."

"Come on, we can eat expensive food and make fun of pretentious pricks."

"Well..." I considered my options. As much as I disliked the wealthy elite, I was curious to see what kind of fuss a gala entailed. I also really wanted to hang out with Roland. It seemed like a win-win. "Okay."

"Really?" A huge smile erupted on Roland's face. 

I couldn't resist returning his smile. "Yeah. You had me at 'pretentious pricks.'"