Calling of the Storm

It was a bright and early Wednesday morning, the blue birds singing a beautiful melody as the sun rose over the mountains. The wild horses began to graze early this morning as well, which I thought was odd especially knowing they always go to the fresh water spring just east a half mile. I didn't put much thought into it though because I knew if I wanted to go into town tomorrow for the radio call in, I'd have to get all chores done early.

   I've had my mind set on the radio call in since Sunday. My father and I went into town for some groceries and the local radio station is giving away a free deep sea fishing trip. I couldn't possibly want anything else, and my father knew that, so he promised to take me in Thursday morning but also said if I win it would be my birthday present. Since the fishing trip falls on my birthday, May thirteenth, and I know my fathers hoping I win so he doesn't have to buy me anything. That's only because we don't really have extra money for birthday expenses anyway, living in my grandpas extra cabin on my grandpas land, and constantly having to go into town for water since there are not water or electric hook ups where we are located.

As I'm just finishing up in the garden I see my mother viciously walking toward me, I could tell she was angry "Sunny!" My mother yelled "Why have you not gotten your brother ready this morning?" I paused for a few short seconds and replied "I'm sorry mother, I was just finishing up the garden" I paused once more "I'll get right to it!" I said in a hurry as I ran inside to find Mathew asleep on the couch. "Get up!" I yelled "Grab your clothes for the day and I shall run a bath"

   I didn't understand why mother was mad, it was nearly eight-thirty and Mathew being the nine year old he is, never gets up before nine-thirty anyways. So I ran the bath, and got him a towel, which happen to be the last so on top of all my chores for he day, laundry was thrown in as well.

   "Thank you for getting the garden work done" My mother gracefully says "You must have gotten up just before I left" She wasn't wrong, I was up at six and out in the garden by six-thirty. "Just getting a head start, Fathers taking me to town in the morning for the radio call in, remember?" I asked as she nodded her head and casually walked away. I shouldn't have brought it up again, she doesn't want me to go because she's worried the boat will crash but what's the odds, right?

"Sunny, could you get the laundry from outside and bring it in for me?" Mother asked "It appears it might storm soon and I will not be losing any clothing from a storm" I was so quick to go out to get the clothes I didn't even answer her, luckily she wasn't upset, just glad I got it done.

   The winds were roaring through the valley, I began to worry. Father wasn't back from the mountains yet and I worry more and more as the storm seems to draw closer and he still has not returned.

Thunder rolled through the valley as the ocean blue sky turns dark, as all the singing blue birds had disappeared, while the wild horses had ran off for shelter, that's when I knew the storm was going to be worse than the radio station had predicted. I had only hoped the storm wouldn't come till my father returned from his trip up into the mountains to check the bear and fish traps. My family and I can only pray for his safe return.