THIRTY NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
________________________________
YEARS AGO

"HEY, MOM. ARE YOU OKAY?" NARUTO PEERED AT the blonde woman sitting next to him, who was oddly quiet during their entire meal that day. Usually, she'd be energetic and would love to listen to the boy talk about his day with his team, but for some reason she just didn't seem to be up to it.

"Just disappointed about something." Hana replied, grabbing a chasu strip with her chopsticks. Her response was simple, causing her son to furrow his brows at her.

"About what?"

Letting out a small sigh, she smiled sadly at the boy. She reached over to ruffle his hair as she spoke. "The papers for the adoption apparently didn't go through, Sweetheart. We didn't find out until now."

The noise of chop sticks dropping to the floor was the only thing that filled the air as Naruto stared at her, blue eyes wide. "Mom, I can't be alone again. Please."

"I know, Honey. I know." Hana said in a calming tone, bringing him into a warm hug as she pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "You won't be alone."

"Is that what Kakashi's been doing all day? Is that why he asked Guy Sensei to watch over us?" He quizzed.

"Yes."

"Mom, what's gonna happen if Kakashi can't get them to go through with it?"

"They will go through with it. He gets whatever he wants if he tries his hardest. I should know." Hana flashes a close-eyed smile. "He's been doing it ever since we were kids."

Naruto laughed a little, worry still lacing his tone. "Okay."

"Even if they somehow don't, it doesn't matter. Because I am still your mother, legally or not. I still love you so much, as I always will. I will still watch you grow up and I will still take you to Ichiraku every Wednesday. I will still make you food and interrupt your training just to give it to you. I will still nag you about cleaning your room, and I will still be there for you." Hana spoke softly. "If they deny Kakashi and I the right to be your parents, it doesn't matter. Because you are our son. You are my son. You are the reason I live and breath. You got it?" Her voice was stronger now. It was almost as if he was scolding him, causing the boy to laugh again at her tone.

"Thanks, Mom. I love you too."

"And I love you more. To the end of time and after that, Sweetheart."

NOTE
SPOILERS NOW ⚠️⚠️⚠️ IF YOU HAVENT READ THE NARUTO/BORUTO MANGA DONT READ TILL YOU SEE THIS 🤷🏻‍♀️ okay so y'all I'm so glad Naruto adopted Kawaki cause that goes so well with this storyline but I'm sad because there's no room for that chapter 😭 anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️ so sorry I didn't post this yesterday I was high key focused on getting chapter fourty perfect. can't wait for you guys to read it! im publishing it at (4:30 est + 7:30 pst and I'm publishing the hanaxkakashi and sakuraxfem!oc at (5:00 est + 8:00 pst) hope you guys like them!

-theanimesociety x