Night owls

I couldn't sleep that night, the mark on my arm still burned, and dark thoughts kept running through my mind. In the end, I gave up trying, and made my way downstairs.
My room was on the top floor, but most of the bedrooms were on the one below. Including Draco's.
I knocked softly on his door, before pushing it open, and stepping inside.
"Draco are you asleep?" I whispered.
"Are you?" He replied.
I made my way over to his bed, and crawled in next to him, pulling the bed covers over myself.

"Couldn't sleep?" Questioned Draco, as he rolled over, to face me.
"No... My arm still stings" I complained.
"Apparently, the more it stings, the less you wanted to have it in the first place"
"Does yours sting?".
Draco didn't answer.
I looked at the ring on my finger properly, for the first time. It was very pretty, and was clearly very expensive.
"Do you like it?" Asked Draco.
"Yes. You chose well" I told him.
"It's new. I know how much you don't like family heirlooms, and Slytherin stuff. So I thought you would prefer something new"
"You know me well".

"I don't want you to go away again. It felt strange here without you" admitted Draco quietly.
"I was only gone for three days, while the court case was going on" I replied.
"I know, but it felt longer"
"Well, I'm sorry. But it was the Ministry's idea, they didn't want me living with you, while they decided if we knew any information about the Death Eaters. But luckily they've decided that we are all innocent, so I don't need to go away again"
"How was living with Snape?"
"It was very interesting actually. But I'm glad I didn't have to stay there forever"
"Me too".

"This summer isn't going to very enjoyable" he said sadly.
"Well my last summer wasn't great either" I admitted, remembering my kidnapping the year before.
"No, I guess it wasn't. But this year I am going to protect you"
"I don't need your protection Draco"
"Maybe not, but I'm giving it to you anyway"
"Did I ever thank you for protecting me from Umbridge last year?"
"I don't think so"
"Well, thank you. It was very kind of you to get me out of detention"
"You're welcome"
"I wonder who our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is going to be. We've had a pompous writer, a werewolf, a Death Eater in disguise, and an insane Ministry employee. Whatever next"
"You missed out on having Quirrel, my first year teacher"
"Was he any good?"
"Not really".

"It's going to be hard to keep this a secret from the teachers, and our classmates" I said, massaging my forearm.
"It can't be any harder than hiding being pregnant" replied Draco.
"I'm not sure. This is on my arm, it's more obvious. I won't be able to wear dresses without sleeves, or wear t-shirts. It's going to be tricky to keep it covered at all times, especially from my room mates. If someone sees it, I'm done for"
"If he didn't think we could hide it, we wouldn't have one"
"If you say so".

"I just hate lying to our teachers, particulaly Dumbledore. When he asks me something, I feel like I have to answer" I revealed.
Draco scoffed. "Dumbledore is an old fool. And you shouldn't let him intimidate you".
"It's not really intimidation, as such. He is just such an important figure, and lying to him, always feels like the wrong thing to do"
"Well, you are going to have to try"
"I know... You talk about some of our teachers, with such little respect, but they only want to help us"
"They want to stick their noses in, you mean"
"We are lucky to have them. They kept my pregnancy a secret from the Ministry, which made things easier for us in court, on the condition that I didn't get pregnant again until I'm of age. Without them, we would be in more trouble than we already are".

"Speaking of trouble, you need to keep your head down this year, and I will be doing the same" he instructed.
"Trouble is the last thing I want" I replied, yawning.
"You're tired, you should try and get some sleep"
"I'm not sure if I can"
"I will stay awake, and watch over you"
"You need sleep as well"
"I'll seep later".
I rolled over, facing away from Draco, and got myself comfy.
"Good night Draco" I mumbled.
"Night Zoe" he replied, kissing my neck.
I looked down at the mark on my arm one last time, before pulling my sleeve over it, and trying to get some sleep.