The day I learned the truth

My 11th birthday had been uneventful, the only present I recieved was a scarf from the orphanage. They gave every orphan one present at Christmas and one on their birthday. Usually a piece of clothing, nothing expensive.
But my whole life changed when a lady named Professor McGonagall entered my room that afternoon. She was wearing mismatched clothing, that didn't seem quite right. She looked extremely out of place in my small empty room.
"Hello" I said politely.

"Good afternoon. You are Zoe Rosier are you not?" Asked the woman.
"Yes" I answered, climbing off my bed.
The woman nodded her head and closed the door behind her.
"Good. My name is Professor McGonagall, and I am the deputy headmistress at Hogwarts school".
"Nice to meet you. What are you doing here?" I questioned.
Professor McGonagall pulled out a letter with my name on and handed it to me.
I hardly ever recieved letters, so I tore into it excitedly.

"Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. Is this a joke?" I asked.
McGonagall shook her head and took her wand out of her pocket. With a flick of her wand she turned my white pillow, bright red and then back to normal.
I gasped. "Wow. I must be dreaming".
"I'm afraid not. Your name has been down on a Hogwarts list, ever since you were born. Your parents had magic, and so do you I believe" she explained.
"Me, a witch?"
"Yes. You've always been an outcast haven't you. Never quite fitted in with the muggles here. That's because you have magic, you can do things can't you. That the other children can't. I have informed the muggle lady in charge of this place, that you have a place in private boarding school, which you will be attending on the 1st of September next year".

"What are muggles?" I asked.
"Non wizards" answered the Professor.
"Oh, O.K. Wow. I can't believe this. This is all real isn't it".
McGonagall waved her wand again causing a small alien thing to appear in my room, and I clasped my hand over my mouth. To stop myself from screaming.
"What is that?" I asked, pointing at the thing in the room.
"That is a house elf. Her name is Saffy. She used to belong to your parents, but she has been working at Hogwarts since their death. Waiting for you to turn 11, she now serves you. She will take you to Diagon Alley, where you can get your school supplies and a wand" explained the Professor.

"Hello" I muttered to the elf.
"Miss Rosier. It is an honor to see you once again. I look forward to serving you" squeaked Saffy.
McGonagall handed me a golden key. "This is for your vault at Gringotts. I believe your parents left you a large amount of gold".
"I'm rich?"
"I think you are. Well I had better be off. Good day Miss Rosier. Oh, you should know that once you get your wand, magic is not permitted outside of school. See you at Hogwarts".
Professor McGonagall bowed her head and left the room.

I looked down at the strange creature that was staring up at me.
"Um. So what do you do?" I asked.
"Saffy can do anything for you miss. Cleaning. Cooking. Fetching. Anything at all miss".
"I see. All those things are done by the people that work here. And it would be best if no one saw you. Maybe you should go back to work at Hogwarts"
"If that is what you command miss, then I will do it. You can summon me any time you wish by saying my name"
"Really? Well then, I don't need you right now, so you can go back to work".

Saffie bowed and dissappeared on the spot, with a loud pop, making me jump.
I sat back onto my bed and took a deep breath, trying to decide if what had just happened was real.
I looked at my pencil case that sat on the desk in my room. I focused on it, and imagined it coming towards me.
At first nothing happened, but then everything on my desk flew over, and hit me in the face. Throwing me back.
I gasped. It was real. I was a witch. And nothing would ever be the same again.