13

It had been a couple weeks now. Nancy and I hadn't talked since our last encounter and with Steve the most I could get was a glance.

Paul had hurt me here and there, nothing I couldn't handle, after all I was used to it. The only thing helping me sleep at night was knowing he'd be leaving for multiple weeks for his job.

Mom will take those weeks to hunt for a 3rd job. I had continued insisting I could get one but she denied me permission.

The hookups with Billy Hargrove had increased and I could feel myself beginning to attach myself to him.

Did I stop myself? No. Billy and I had fun, so why take away the one person that took my mind off things?

From time to time me and Billy began having 'adventures' as he liked to call them, he'd pick me up at night and we'd drive somewhere and enjoyed each others presence and some cheap whiskey along with cigarettes. Of course it would usually end with us making out but never anything more.

My life went on as well as everyone else's, I eventually began talking to some other girls in my classes, we weren't best friends but we talked.

Guilt ate at me when I thought about how things went down with Steve and Nancy. Billy was a great distraction but he could only make me forget so much.

I missed both Steve and Nancy, what I had been doing was wrong, I never gave them time or explanations for anything, I understand why they felt the way they did.

If I were them, I would've done the same.

-
-

I hurry towards the car, his car. It was little past midnight but that wouldn't stop either of us from going to one of Tina's many parties, the girl knew how to throw a party.

Opening the door it smells of smoke even though both windows are down, my nose scrunched a bit but being someone who smokes as well I couldn't hate it.

"Jesus, you take so goddamn long." He complains as he sits back in his seat comfortably and begins speeding the car.

I playfully roll my eyes and turn to him, "God, stop complaining you sound like a whiny bitch."

He rolls his eyes and we both go back to focusing on the road ahead of us. It was always like this, whenever he'd pick me up it'd be silent until we got to our destination.

Tonight was different though, when we reached our destination we'd both go our separate ways and most likely not drive back together.

The fast speeding and somewhat chilly autumn weather made shivers trail down my back, "It's cold, roll the windows up a bit." I say as I regret wearing such a short dress.

He rolls them up a bit but not without his mocking smirk, "Now who's the whiny bitch?" A laugh erupts from his mouth and I can't help but smile.

Not in the mood to talk I let him have this one. Tina's house was about a 10-15 minutes drive so it'd be awhile before we got there.

Everyone knew Tina threw great parties and it was no doubt everyone had been to at least one. Her parties were the perfect place to get drunk off your feet and not remember a thing yet never forget it either.

The silence in the car was always bearable so tonight was no different. My thoughts wandered off to Paul, he had left early morning and wouldn't be back til around the beginning of November, that in itself made me relax a bit.

We finally arrive at the house that we all knew too well, red cups all over the front lawn and even more people sprawled out in every corner.

The car comes to a stop and we both get out. Without even a mutter we both go our ways as Billy heads to the keg and I head inside for a drink.