Part 6: Lost in a Different World

"I can't believe it – number 7!" exclaimed Mark, "Not just charting, but we're at number 7!" he beamed with a smile as wide as the Pacific Ocean. The other lads were equally elated about the success of their recent single, 'It only takes a minute'. Yes, it was a cover, but the critics had said it provided a refreshing rejuvenation to the song, and not like usual covers; plus the radio stations were all playing it, and at last they were getting the band's name out to a wider audience. It'd been a hard slog to get this far, but Take That, were finally on the up!

The lads were still buzzing as they got ready for a booking at another of Manchester's many Night Clubs, Nigel had set up the booking two months previous, back in March. At the time he was still booking them in here, there, and everywhere. However, the lad's couldn't help but notice how things had changed. As they entered the club that night, the posters now had them top of the bill, and the canvassed promotion even had their faces on it, with the by-line, 'An APPEARANCE by hit boyband, Take That'. An appearance! They were definitely moving up in the world. All the lads made sure they sneakily picked up a copy as a souvenir (basically to show to their mums' that night).

"I hope this means we can do a bit less of 'these' for a while", Jason pointedly said, as he threw on a black string vest over his toned and freshly oiled torso, "I feel like I've not slept properly for a week – what with all the promo – which of course paid off, but now all these radio shows during the day too, we've got enough on, so do we actually need to still be doing all this shite?!" he commented, to the general murmur of agreement from the other lads.

"AND we all know how you need your sleep", Howard gently chided as he nudged Jason but ended up nearly tripping himself up while in the process of getting his trousers on, "But it's a true point, Gaz – can't you speak to Nigel about it?" he asked the blonde in the room.

All the other lads turned towards Gary, who was presently busy deciding whether or not to wear a jacket (even though it was like 28 degrees under the club's light) "Eh", he momentarily flushed under the collective gaze of his bandmates looking to him, "Actually, I already have", he coyly replied, "just this afternoon in fact, but he didn't really answer me about it, in fact he just kind of shrugged and told me to remind you guys we've got five more radio shows to get around tomorrow – so expect another early start, I guess!" he finished forlornly, for he more than anyone would like nothing more than to skip the night club performances – it was getting embarrassing singing centre on stage when all he could see is the audiences eyes' just staring at the other lads, more specifically, their shiny, toned torsos. With that last deflating self-conscious thought, Gary safely opted for the jacket.

"Wow -", Howard added after a pregnant pause, "five radio shows!" he grinned, to the utter confusion of the other lads, "I mean, I know it's a lot and extremely tiring, but I honestly never expected we'd get this far – it's amazing!" he explained. The other lads could only agree.

"Speaking of Nigel", Mark piped in, and going back to the previous point, "is he even coming tonight?" he questioned the notably absence of their Manager.

"I hope not!" Robbie loudly mumbled with half a ham sandwich wedged in his mouth (for the first time ever, the club had also provided the band with food too!).

"No", Gary answered Mark, with a careful side glance at Robbie before he added, "He's back at the studio with those writer's – they're probably changing some lyrics".

"What?!" Robbie exclaimed, instantly alarmed at the news, "Not to 'I found Heaven', again?!" Although it was a rhetoric question (for he knew the answer).

All Gary could offer was a sympathetic look, and a small nod of confirmation.

"I keep learning the lyrics, and they keep bloody changing 'em! Bloody shit writers!" Robbie grumbled.